Best CPU for using a GT 1030

Solution

Mostly there will be 2 bottlenecks, CPU and GPU depending on the game demands. But A4-A10 series CPU will bottleneck in most modern games, not to mention they are dead...

ProfessinalGamer

Commendable
Jan 10, 2017

I know that the GT 1030 isn't that powerful.But i will upgrade it later

This is the link for the PCPartpicker i've picked out the parts
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/spQtzM

So far the Pc is $228.62 I'm trying to see can i get it to only be about 250

For new build, I definitely do not recommend FX-series CPU anymore... A10 cpu definitely is the best you can get with that MB...

Problem is even if you update GPU later, the CPU is too weak to take anything higher than 1050 ti I think. Not worth the money imo.

ProfessinalGamer

Commendable
Jan 10, 2017

Will a A6-5400k or 6400k work

Cause in the future I will change the MB and all

So i dont' want to spend to much on this pc

Not even with an A10... So you already have the HDD and MB?

ProfessinalGamer

Commendable
Jan 10, 2017

No I just put it on PcPartpicker to see how much it would cost

Would I be able to play my games above 40fps
Also if i change the GPU to the RX 550 will it be better than the GT 1030

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
If you buy an AMD APU, you're paying extra for the integrated graphics compared to an equivalent CPU-only chip (e.g. Athlon x4). Given that you're buying a discrete graphics card and won't be using the iGPU, this is a waste of money.

As said above, even the best CPU available for that mobo isn't very good. The CPU you selected there is very weak. I know you said you're planning on upgrading the mobo/CPU, but I don't understand why you'd dump money into a new build with the intent to upgrade, but buy a dead-end platform that requires you to replace everything when you do upgrade. You're much better off in the long run spending a bit of extra cash now to get something with an upgrade path.

ProfessinalGamer

Commendable
Jan 10, 2017

I dont want to spend $350+ on a pc that i will just change the part later.
If i change the gpu to the RX 550 will i get better performance than the GT 1030

Mostly there will be 2 bottlenecks, CPU and GPU depending on the game demands. But A4-A10 series CPU will bottleneck in most modern games, not to mention they are dead technology. Even with 1080 ti, your CPU will not allow you to play any AAA games with any OK FPS... For you gaming purpose, you will be better off with this budget build :)

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 3 1200 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor ($109.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI - B350 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard ($70.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($75.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Hitachi - Ultrastar 750GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($29.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Zotac - GeForce GTX 1050 2GB Mini Video Card ($119.99 @ B&H)
Case: DIYPC - Ranger-R4-R ATX Mid Tower Case ($25.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair - CXM 550W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $472.91
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-10-02 13:32 EDT-0400

You can replace anything but the CPU/MB/RAM :) There is a MB $10 cheaper but limit your future expansion ability. I wish the MB is on sale like this when I was building mine last month...

Solution

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador

But you're going to have to spend that $350+ at some point to get a halfway decent gaming PC anyway (well, more like $500+). So you can spend $250 now, get a PC that's pretty much obsolete from the moment you get it, and then spend $350+ later. Or you can spend $350 now, spend $100-$150 later, and get a PC that's probably better than what you could get if you went the first route, for less money in total.

Edit: +1 to the build listed above.