Question Best DIY friendly website building and hosting site ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

krassyg

Commendable
Feb 14, 2021
Need to do a web site for my business. I am paying someone to do it for me but I want to be able to do small changes and upload pictures and documents myself. What is the most user friendly building and hosting web site(Squarespace, weebly, wix, shopify, etc.) ? I only need the site so my business looks more professional and to display pictures of my work.

Ralston18

Titan
The risk is that if you make some error or mistake it may cost you more to have your developer repair the website damage.

How often do you need to make small changes and otherwise edit/update the website?

My suggestion is to work with your current developer. Let them help you learn to do a few basic things.

Very likely that you could sandbox the process and limit things to where any mistakes on your part would have minimal impact and/or be easily corrected by you.

Now letting you do some things may (and probably will) cost your developer some fees they would charge you for maintenance. How much money is actually involved I do not (in all honesty) know.

However, maintaining a website is more of an administrative process than development in some ways. Your developer may be able to make more money developing new websites for others versus doing "small changes and upload pictures and documents" for you. But then again that could be the easy part and where they end up with a better ROI for time and labor.

And sooner or later you will need that developer again for some sort of website overhaul and general refreshment. There are millions of static websites out there that have never been refreshed with respect to appearance, accuracy, and functionality. Many being small businesses..... And not very appealing.

The other aspect is that if you are using other tools and websites there may be conflicts. Generally people who have their own small business want to do that business.

Not become a website developer that could quickly become a demanding beast eating your time and effort. Both of which may likely stretched enough as it is.

No issue at all with your concept and I am very much a DIY type person. Just encouraging you to look at the proverbial big picture and the trade-offs that may be involved.

That all said, I will defer to those who actually work with hosted websites for specific host website recommendations.

krassyg

Commendable
Feb 14, 2021
I am paying him to to design and deploy the site; I want it to look good. But after that I want to be able to upload pictures and documents myself without having to call him every time. From what I understand squarespace and the other similar hosting sites will be the way to go. I only need a basic site do look more professional and to display my work.

May 7, 2021
Need to do a web site for my business. I am paying someone to do it for me but I want to be able to do small changes and upload pictures and documents myself. What is the most user friendly building and hosting web site(Squarespace, weebly, wix, shopify, etc.) ? I only need the site so my business looks more professional and to display pictures of my work.
All of the content management systems you mentioned are good at their own place. I would say if you are e-commerce business then Shopify is good. You may also choose woocomerce for e-commerce business which is a wordpress plugin. Many businesses are running on these websites.

Status
Not open for further replies.