Question Best docking station for hybrid Mac/PC setup ?

hayden_s

Distinguished
May 4, 2014
Hey all,

I'm looking to purchase my first docking station to decrease cable clutter on my desk. Currently, I plug in 2-3 cables to my laptop whenever I want to use my monitor (1 usb-c for power, 1 usb-c to HDMI for monitor, and one USB 2.0 for a logitech webcam). I also have a separate set of desktop speakers (PreSonus Eris E3.5 3.5) that connect directly to my monitor via a single AUX cord input, so audio flow directly through HDMI to speakers. Keyboard and mouse are both Bluetooth so no need for a wired connection there.

My current monitor is a GIGABYTE - G34WQC A 34" (2x HDMI 2.0 and 2x Displayport 1.4), which is fine, but I'm planning on upgrading to a dual monitor setup with modern USB-C ports. Probably would need an HDMI switch for this, but I also have an xbox...would love to be able to have that connected to the dock and fed through to one of the monitors.

Basically I need to accommodate the following devices/peripherals:

Devices:
- 2022 M2 Mac Book Air (personal computer)
- ThinkPad T14s Gen 2 (work computer)
- xbox series x (would be a bonus)

Features:
- works with both pc/mac
- outputs to 1-2 monitors
- audio pass-through to external desktop speakers from all devices
- Ethernet port

I don't currently use or have a need for external storage, so transfer speeds through the dock are a non-factor for me. I'm sure there are quite a few docks that can accomplish this, so wanted to check with the community before overspending on something fancy like a CalDigit TS4. Thanks in advance for your advice!