Best FullATX GameCases:Antec900,TJ09,Kandalf,CMStacker830/1

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

With an unlimited budget, which is your DREAM case?

• Thermaltake Kandalf/ Armor Series +LCS

Votes: 22 19.6%
  • Thermaltake Tai Chi Series +LCS

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Thermaltake Eureka/Shark +LCS

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • NZXT Zero +LCS

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • Antec Nine Hundred +LCS

Votes: 25 22.3%
  • Lian Li Memorial 20th Anniv PC-777 Series +LCS

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • Silverstone TJ07 (SST series! if you want) +LCS

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • Silverstone TJ09 +LCS

Votes: 25 22.3%
  • CM Stacker 830 Series +LCS

Votes: 16 14.3%

• Total voters

tool_462

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006
The new Stacker and the TJ09 are a toss up. I would have to see them side by side in real life to decide which I was going to buy. Both solid cases.

biohazard420420

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
I still think that out of all the cases mentioned none compare in space or just sheer amount of air flow to the TT Mozart TX. 10 120mm fans and one entire half of a case for the biggest LCS system you could ever use hell get a water block for every single component in your system. And on top of that its not hugely expensive only like 359 ish.

dean7

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
I vote for the Antec Nine Hundred. It is a great case and has great cooling. Get good fans and this baby is very quiet. I know you have a "unlimited budget" but at the price of the 900 vs. the Stacker, I don't see $100 worth of improvements in the Stacker over the 900.
Same... it looks cool too!

ma2ha3

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
i did not vote because none of them are dream case.
i probably buy a stacker 831 later on
but not because it is the dream case
because it is the best of the worse.

i cannot find a single case that is perfect 4 me.

PeaceLoving

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2006
Describe for us your dream case! :D (just in case any of the manufacturers come in and read....they might like your idea) :p

As, for me....i really like the CM Stacker 830(black)....because of the side panel that can hold 4 fans!

However, if it could also be made of ALUMINUM,
--weigh less than 20lbs (40lbs or 15 kilograms is A LOT!!)
--have a top 200mm fan like the Antec Nine Hundred
--as well as have a more attractive front
--and have "wheels"

it'll be just great! (for me that is)

What other "perfections" are you looking for? I'd really like to know. 8)

Actually, the Antec Nine Hundred looks really COOL as in attractive and good airflow. However, it must really collect dust! Nice case tho! :D

ma2ha3

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
As, for me....i really like the CM Stacker 830(black)....because of the side panel that can hold 4 fans!
However, if it could also be made of ALUMINUM,
--weigh less than 20lbs (40lbs or 15 kilograms is A LOT!!)
--have a top 200mm fan like the Antec Nine Hundred
--as well as have a more attractive front
--and have "wheels

What the hell are you talking about?
CM stacker 830 is fully made of aluminum.
Full aluminum, only the 4-3 hd thingy is steel. which is the part i will throw away, once i got my hand on it.

if you want wheels go get 831. it got wheels.

200mm top fan does not bother me.

i think 830 have very attractive front. not classic design, but if you want door and airflow. you cannot go classical.

the size fans you talk about. if you fill it all up. it will not affect the temp.
because of air shortcut.

imagine the cold air coming from the front, a lot of them will go out from the side, before they can gather the heat.

that why if i have the case, i will put 3 fans in front, and none at the side.

PeaceLoving

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2006
errr....its ALL aluminum and yet it weighs 40lbs?? 8O

and the fans on the side....then what are side fans for anyways if they affect the front-back flow?

the Kandalf has a 300mm side fan does it not?

ma2ha3

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
you have to talk about position of the side fans

if is above the video card GPU, then it helps to quickly remove the heat

but if it is position very close to the front.

then it will suck out cold air

case by case basis to analyse each case.

silverstone have some case with very little front airflow. Please open your eyes and look at it.

14.2 kg !!! please use metric system. dun use old of date imperial system.

yes it is aluminium big and heavy at 14.2 kg.

it is huge you know. have you seen it before?

you are from thailand? can you get one in bangkok?

can you afford silverstone tj09 or not?

if you need a door get stacker 831
if you dun need a door get silverstone TJ09

it is as simple as that. Thailand very hot, you need good airflow.

Talon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2004
I know aesthetics are very subjective but dang, imo some of the ugliest cases in the poll took top honors.

I voted for the Zero btw. I think its attractive with still a slight edgy look. Superb cooling without having to buy extra fans. If I have to come up with any negative of the case I'd say if you love windows, which admittedly I do, it might not be the case for you.

Otherwise its width is as big as majority of other towers I recently found out and should accomodate most if not all big coolers. Of course with liquid cooling thats not a big deal. The huge amount of airflow in the case would only further benefit LCS imo. But to each their own. If we all liked the same thing it wouldn't be any fun would it ? :)

Talon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2004
Those are some interesting cases. Different but pretty cool if you have the room for that design. Nice.

Edit: not crazy about the Lian-Li but the yeongying server case is cool.

skyguy

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
You want to know what a top notch case must have? I'll tell you.....and I'm a real-life designer for what it's worth.

Must have:

-removable wheels
-spacious
-compartmentalized
-optional window
-built-in holes for LCS
-sleek design, no funky "alien" or "space" crap designs
-rolled edges, folded, toolless, blah, blah
-lots of holes in the metal for airflow.....ie-why have a fan in front of an HDD cage and it's almost solid?? what does that accomplish??
-it must be QUIET, noise dampening.....hello?
-removable baffles (for PSU, top fan exhaust) that FITS WITH THE DESIGN of the case, none of this add-on crap
-if using a front door, make it be interchangeable to open from right or left
-if using a front door, it CAN'T BLOCK the ports
-no squeaky doors.......CHEAP! make it solid hinge design, etc. sometimes cases take a beating. $400 for something that squeaks? please......
-make the outside faces flush....no protruding edges
-does EVERYTHING have to be black/silver/aluminum with blue LEDs? Come on, get creative already!! How about a gun metal finish? How about a brushed finish? How about diamond plate accents? A deep, rich purple (almost Indigo-esque) is a fantastic design color for lighting. Think about it people!! Hello, Voodoo!?!
-with all the fans going into modern systems, how about a built-in controller? Is a $10 part gonna break the bank? Seriously.......
-who actually still thinks 80mm rear exhaust fans work? 120mm from now on, on all cases

-and the piece de resistance that doesn't yet exist: "modular" interior.....in that you can move HDD cage up or down and swap locations for example (now that is a radical design idea.....not everyone wants/needs it in the same spot for example).....think Legos...."modular"....I'm telling you, it's the future man.......imagine an Antec P180 but on steroids......flexibility is key. Mark my words........

I'm a designer in real life and I'm astonished and embarrassed by alot of the products out there......who ACTUALLY comes up with some of these lame ideas we see??? Sorry, but a first-year design student should even know better. I understand we're victims of economics and budget, but that's what design is about......optimal solutions, not perfect ones, given the constraints. But design is also about pushing those constraints, working around them, being innovative to change the paradigm. Every designer knows this.........

That's my $0.02 worth. For a high-end case. Pardon the pun gents, but don't think outside the "box"........think beyond it.

Cheers.

PeaceLoving

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2006
Whoa...calm down buddy! :wink: Just asking. I'm still new with these things and that is why i'm asking around in this forum.

Yes, i'm from Thailand and yes, i can get this case here. As you said, it is VERY hot here. That is why i am looking for a nice case with good cooling. Just wondering whether the 4 side fans will help or not. They sure "look" good to me.

So you advise NOT to put any side fans?! :?

skyguy

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
LOL, I'm not ripping anyone, sorry if it sounded that way. And certainly not you in particular.....I apologize if that came off wrong. :oops:

It was directed as a gripe/suggestion to those who design and build cases. And those of us that are stuck with cheap crap or weird expensive designs. I'm just tired of getting stuck with garbage/stupid designs that cost a fortune for new builds, that's all. You'd think that for some good money a case would be good.......and they are few and far in between.

Fans.......I think 4 side fans in the Zero actually ARE a good idea in this case, the review say they are quiet and it sounds like you would benefit greatly. It looks like a great tower......careful about humidity in your part of the world though, that could wreak havoc on a system 8O

Sorry again, I just think if consumers demanded better, then we wouldn't get stuck with the crap we've been forcefed for so long. It does seem that things are changing, some smarter designs, better cooling, more selection, so that's great!! I just hope it continues, but without costing consumers a fortune.

Good luck with your case, fans + LCS would be a dream :)

PeaceLoving

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2006
Hi Skyguy! :) I was replying to ma2ha3..... :wink:

I really enjoyed reading your comments! Seriously! At least you put down the reason why. I learned a lot from your post. Thanks actually!

I wasn't asking about fans in the Zero tho...i was wondering if the 4 side fans in the Stacker 830(831) were useful. Is it true that it disrupts the flow of air from front to back?

If it does, why then do we see so many cases with side fans? What is the purpose of a sidefan? Could we use a sidefan to blow cool air INTO a case instead and let the outflow of air be taken care of solely by the rear exhaust fans and a large TOP fan( like in the Antec Nine Hundred?

Cheers! :D

skyguy

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
Oh, my bad. :oops:

As for fans and air movement and side intake......my guess is it's to improve airflow directly to the CPU for the stock coolers.

I'm still trying to figure out if it's better to have more exhaust fans instead to build up negative pressure.......which could be as simple as turning the side fan around......?? It's got me mystified, I don't know which is better.

pirke

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2006
In a few weeks I'll be assembling a complete new system, I was thinking of the P180, but the 8800GTX has to fit into it, so maybe the P190, although the looks of the P180 are far superior IMHO.

Anybody knows when the P190 will be released?