Best Gaming CPUs For The Money: August 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

first coment :p, actually the fastest triple-core Athlon II is available for only $77, new lower price!!! plus c3 stepping, and the athlon II x4 640 (3.0 Ghz, the fastest and c3 too ) for only $107, i hope amd will do this with ati products too...

jgv115

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2009
@Daggs

The Phenom II X6 is not in there because it is not as good as the other CPUs in its price range at GAMING.

henryvalz

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2010
The i7-930 was available this weekend at Fry's for $260. Seems to be widely available for about $270... Which makes it even sexier.

TheStealthyOne

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2010
"Is Intel putting pressure on the Phenom II X6?" Maybe Intel's telling itself that lowering a 1000 dollar Cpu's price by 100 dollars is "competing" with a 200 dollar chip... lol

Stardude82

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2006
The 945 really should have always been on the list since the C3 stepping because of all the budget boards with 95W limitations. The 640 is still a better deal, but hey if 775 CPUs are still listed, CPUs catering to limited AM2+/AM3 boards should be too!

Stardude82

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2006
[citation][nom]thestealthyone[/nom]"Is Intel putting pressure on the Phenom II X6?" Maybe Intel's telling itself that lowering a 1000 dollar Cpu's price by 100 dollars is "competing" with a 200 dollar chip... lol[/citation]
Um... in terms of gaming, the $300 1095T can't compete with a $200 i5 760.

Back when AMD held the performance crown the FX line was similarly ridiculously overpriced. More likely Intel is just naming it's price to maximize it's profit. Supply and demand.

jj463rd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2008
The Intel Core i7 980X is worth it (even at its high cost) especially for hard core Flight Simulator X users.Yes,it's worth it.Good to see a newer faster i5 760 there too.
Thanks for the heads up.

L0tus

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
[citation][nom]amk09[/nom]Can't wait until sandy bridge and bulldozer comes out and to see how they stack up against the current chips.[/citation]

Absolutely. I really want to see AMD get their head's back into the game as far as high-end performance goes cos intel is ruling that area right now.

I can guarantee that if AMD had a chip in the i7 performance range, intel wouldn't be charging us $1000 for a suped up i7-975. Competition = lower prices = happiness :)

Ruminari

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2007
My question is why on earth is Tomshardware still listing the i7-930 at $290. MicroCenter has been selling this processor for $199.99 since mid June!!! Tomshardware definitely needs to review where they are finding their current processor costs.

burnley14

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
[citation][nom]Ruminari[/nom]My question is why on earth is Tomshardware still listing the i7-930 at $290. MicroCenter has been selling this processor for $199.99 since mid June!!! Tomshardware definitely needs to review where they are finding their current processor costs.[/citation]

Processors are almost always cheaper at Microcenter than anywhere else. But there are only a handful of Microcenter locations across the country, so it's not a price everyone can get. You can't base universal prices on the few areas that do have access.

sandmanwn

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2006
[citation][nom]Stardude82[/nom]Um... in terms of gaming, the $300 1095T can't compete with a $200 i5 760.Back when AMD held the performance crown the FX line was similarly ridiculously overpriced. More likely Intel is just naming it's price to maximize it's profit. Supply and demand.[/citation]
yeah, cause we all know how important gaming is to the bottom line. Those few extra frames always influence my overall purchase decisions... [/sarc]

[citation][nom]sandmanwn[/nom]yeah, cause we all know how important gaming is to the bottom line...[/citation]
As much as I'd like to see something similar done for productivity apps, this article is about gaming CPUs. So, gaming will be the most important thing to the bottom line.

With a Q9450 in my primary PC, going to AMD would be a lateral move, not worth the upgrade price. I have high hopes for Bulldozer though, and for Sandy Bridge.

sandmanwn

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2006
[citation][nom]jtt283[/nom]With a Q9450 in my primary PC, going to AMD would be a lateral move, not worth the upgrade price.[/citation]
Not sure I get where you are going. I wasn't making any suggestion to make that move. If you have anything in this range it wouldn't make any sense to really buy a new cpu just for gaming.
As much as I'd like to see something similar done for productivity apps, this article is about gaming CPUs.
Just about every processor on here will do well for gaming. At some point this gaming article is sort of redundant when even the base processor can get the job done. Its sort of losing its relevance when every processor that comes out these days is well above the mark needed to run any game.

Maybe the article needs to put setups into the equation such as which CPU is best for running multiple graphics cards or something.

masterasia

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009

$199 at Microcenter

cleeve

Illustrious
[citation][nom]sandmanwn[/nom]yeah, cause we all know how important gaming is to the bottom line. Those few extra frames always influence my overall purchase decisions... [/sarc][/citation]

Please read the title of the article.

In addition, as with all of AMD's X2 and X3 CPUs, the Phenom II X2 555 offers the potential for possibly unlocking dormant CPU cores.

Certainly not all X2 and X3's? Phenom II X2, Phenom II X3, and Athlon II X3 unless I am mistaken. Oh and the Sempron 140.

Status
Not open for further replies.