Best gaming laptop for around $1,500

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CORKNUTZ69

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011
I've been looking at Alienware, and the known good gaming laptop makers but just seems there are alot of options. Like I'm a dell fan, my last vostro 1700 worked great for wow etc. The price is flexible but I want something that can play all current games on max settings etc.

Going with 16GB RAM over 8GB is the one area where you won't see any improvement in gaming performance. 16GB can be handy for really heavy duty work in graphics, video and some exotic stuff like running multiple virtual machines. But even there it's a luxury rather than a necessity. It's also an area you can always upgrade later to keep the cost down now.

Your own copy of Win7 won't affect the warranty.
The SSD/HDD is the preferred storage setup for high end systems at the moment.

CORKNUTZ69

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011
Is there any other area that should be upgraded or does it all look good then? What about skipping up to the ole 18 inch screen? It will break the budget a little bit but I can squeek it in for around 2200. THere is only one optionf or that screen though. I also left the 17 inch one as default screen, is there a more preferred screen or is standard working out?

CORKNUTZ69

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011
You say with 2 of it's 128 or 256, is that the only sizes they sell for the crucial? Also, looking at newegg it's not that much of a prize difference that I can see from buying it from sager. And I only see like 415MB/S read. Can you mayve provide a link? And how much of a difference would I notice running two SSD in raid 0????

chillmelt

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2010
You can buy 2 of 512GBs, but can you afford it? Two will probably cost even more than the laptop itself.

I have 2 256GB Crucials M4s and it's blazing (one for laptop and other for desktop). I've yet to try both in a RAID setup.

You don't *need* RAID 0 SSDs. Nobody does. Also, there is no TRIM support.

Edit - Sequential reads are closer to 500 MBs on a single SSD.

If you upgrade the firmware to 009,your read speed increases to 500MB/S
I have a 256GB M4(w/009) and it's wicked fast.
RAID depends on you,I haven't tried it but I checked some benchs and you can get up to 1GB/S speeds. And there "is" TRIM support(under Windows7)

Finally,it's definitely worth it to save $100 getting a faster SSD and installing it yourself :D

CORKNUTZ69

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011
Ok, last question lol, the 18" has dual gforce in sli or dual HD6990M's. Based off what WR2 is saying the Radeons would be better but........its a $325.00 upgrade!! Would the SLI gforces be ok? There is no option for just one vid card for 18"...........

CORKNUTZ69

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011
Nevermind, jumped the gun, ordered!

Cleaned this post up a bit.
Thanks again guys!! The only thing I dont like about the 18" is the buttons on the left for gaming, I think it offsets the keyboard too much but we'll see............

1x Sager NP8180 / Clevo P180HM
- Display: 18.4” FHD 16:9 LED Backlit Wide screen (1920x1080) Super Clear Glare Type Screen (SKU - S1R602)
- Monitor Calibration: NO Professional Monitor Color Calibration
- Processor: 2nd Generation Intel® Core™ i7-2670QM, 2.2-3.1GHz
- Thermal Compound: - IC Diamond Thermal Compound - CPU + GPU
- Graphics Video Card: ATI Radeon DUAL (2) HD6990M's (4096MB Total) GDDR5 DX11 - w/ 300W AC Adapter (SKU - S3R155)
- External Display Video Adapters: No Video Adapter
- Ram: 12GB DDR3 1333MHz Dual Channel Memory (3x4GB SODIMMS) - Black Friday Special! (SKU - X4P989)
- Branding: Sager Branding
- Exterior Finish: Standard Finish
- Primary Hard Drive: 500GB 7200RPM (Serial-ATA II 300 - 16MB Cache) (SKU - S5R207)
- Second Hard Drive: None Standard
- Third Hard Drive: None Standard
- Optical Drive Bay: Combo Dual Layer SuperMulti DVDRW/CDRW Drive w/ Software (When selecting a Hard Drive in the Optical Bay, No Optical Drive is Included) (SKU - S7R455)
- - Memory Card Reader: Internal 9-in-1 Card Reader - Back Up - Bluetooth: Bluetooth Included (See “Wireless Network” Section Below)
- Wireless Network: Built-in 802.11 Wireless B/G/N - Stock Wireless Card + Bluetooth (SKU - S8R110)
- Camera: Built in 2.0 Megapixel Camera
- TV Tuner: No TV Tuner
- Sound Card: Sound Blaster Compatible 3D Audio - Included
- Case: Basic Black Business Case - Included
- Battery: Smart Li-ion Battery (8-Cell)
- Fingerprint Reader: Integrated Fingerprint Reader
- Mouse / Keyboard Accessories: No External Keyboard or Mouse
- Operating System: No Operating System Standard - Drivers & Utility Software Only
- Warranty: LIFETIME Ltd Labor* 1 Year Parts Warranty Lifetime -24/7 DOMESTIC Based- Toll Free Telephone Tech Support (Labor Warranty through Xotic PC)

CORKNUTZ69

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011
While I'm waiting for my beauty to show up, quick questions. To install that crucial SSD, I will need to remove current HD and plug crucial into that slot I';m assuming? Or is it just jumpered to determine which is primary. Also, I'm assuming that I would make the crucial primary and install operating system and all programs/games to the crucial then any other saved garage drirect to the 2nd harddrive?? Since its only 250 GB I dont want to fill er up too fast.........

CORKNUTZ69

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011
So do I need a harddrive caddy then? It had an option for 3 harddrives, 2 normal and the third if you wanted it you would have to order no dvd and add a hardrive caddy. I took it as I could fit 2 harddrives without having to remove the dvd rom.

CORKNUTZ69

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011
FYI WR2/Maziar: Received my 8180 Sager and its the badonk........super massively huge but I love it.......25 lb beast when shoved into the bag with all the goodies, I posted in that other guys forum about that jowa bag to see how/where he got the bag for it. I like the idea of having some padding lol. I got it all loaded up and it screams.......graphics cranked on batman ark, Rage, Call of duty 4 etc. etc. all works great. Thanks again. Dual radeon vids seem to rock I've always been a Nvidia Gforce fan but may be rethinking on home pc builds now lol.

CORKNUTZ69

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011
Still cant break my 5.9 rating on hardrive on windows performance but from what I'm reading its hard/impossible to do??? I installed the crucial SSD as primary/500 Sata secondary. Still didnt break it. Unless it tests both drives and the sata drags it down?

Status
Not open for further replies.