Best gaming mouse for under 50$

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

hedshotx

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2012
Firstly sorry if this is the wrong part of the forums! Couldn't decide where to post, but I need some help with deciding on a new wired mouse to game with. I currently use a really generic logitech wireless one that loses signal occasionally and I really need to replace it. As far as games go, I really play everything. I play a lot of FPS's such as BF3, but I also play games like League of Legends and Diablo and Starcraft. It's mostly for FPS and third-person rpg type of games. I really have no where to start looking though. I know about dpi and sensitivity, but beyond that I know nothing about brands or specific models. I've heard good things about the logitech g4/5 series and for some of the razer adders, as well as steel series and M60s. As always, the cheaper the better, but 50$ is about my ~cap.

On a side note, how are gaming keyboards superior to generic ones? I use a Dell keyboard that came with a desktop ages ago and it still kicks. If there is a real upgrade to buying a gaming keyboard, I'd like to invest in one of those as well!

Thanks for your time

thing is the cyborg rat 3/5/7 have build quality issues. i know i have the 7 contagion which has a better sensor than the stock 7 but still has many of the same issues unless you get lucky and get the 1 in 5 that actually works as it should. it took 2 attempts for me to get the perfect specimen. so be prepared to send it back or return it to the shop if you have any of the following... mouse creep. where the mouse will move the pointer even when the mouse is stationary. like its picking up a vibration. excessive lift off.
if the mouse is still reading the surface even though your .5cm or higher above the mat. button creep.
when you click the mouse the pointer moves...
then theres just general build issues... anyways its up to you... personally i dont recommend the rat mice for the build quality reason alone... 1 in 5 working just isnt good enough.

unlaughable

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2012
i am using a razer imperator. if you can get that i reccomend it.
i have been using it for a couple months and it is perfect.(exept for it being wired)
if you can find a g9x on sale go for it.
death adder is great too. doesnt have problems at all!

skaz

Distinguished
I've had build quality issues with my death adder. First one the mouse feet were scraping on the pad. Not sure if the Teflon was scratched or what. Replacement fixed that. Second one has a weird left mouse click issue. Where it doesn't register the click or it sticks and to un-stick the "click" I have to hit the button again.

hedshotx

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2012
Thank you guys for the opinions. From the sound of peoples opinions, the g400 sounds like a good bet. I'm gonna visit best buy to feel it out and if it's good then I'm gonna go for it. Close second is that gigabyte mouse (M6800). With both mice, what do I need as far as a mousepad, or do I need one? I play on a wood surface, and actually at the moment with my wireless mouse, I don't even use a mousepad. Haven't bought one since the mouse ball era haha. What do I need to know about mousepads for these mice?

masseybe84

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2010
My MX518 has lasted me six years now and very accurate.
Unless you are on glass you don't need a mousepad. I use a very large one now that hangs over the edge of my desk about 1/4" but only because it is more comfortable on my wrist and palm when I'm resting my hand.

Zed_Spooge

Honorable
Nov 11, 2012
This thread is hella old, but I saw this and I always see this and I hate this. r.a.t. cyborg mice hardly have ANY issues, they really are fantastic mice. Super comfortable, customizable, Look OP, perform great, the works. The only problems people seem to have with them is the mouse jumping around the screen/glitching a bit. there is a simple easy fix. Just put some alcohol on a q-tip and clean out the laser with it, follow up with a dry one. Do this every couple weeks. helps a ton, sometimes the q-tip comes out black! dont know how or why but it works/happens

if you had bothered looking at my most recent posts you will see my opinion on my rat 7 has changed some what... they were legitimate comments when i first got my mouse at the end of last year but in that time i have grown to love it... it does still have manufacturing issues but 1s you get 1 that works which is more often than not now as they have sorted the quality control to a higher standard. you will find the mouse is in fact pretty decent and worth the money... most of the time i would say the vast majority of premium mice are more bells and whistles but the rat 7 contagion and infection are worth there premium price tag... so dont be so quick off the mark because over time people can change there minds as experience grows opinions change...