Best Gaming Rig for €1500... 4K maybe?

perez jens

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2013
hello,

im planning to build a completely new gaming PC and gift my current one to a friend.

but my question is, i would like to play at 4K and buy a 4K monitor as well.

and im not that good at finding the best products compared to price. i also understand a little bit of hardware but surely not all.

so thats why i ask, iff someone could help me out would be nice

Greetz

Solution
I can't advise you a good build for 1500€ but i can tell you that you should go for 2560x1440 by now.
You wont be able to build a futureproof 4k rig with current hardware (in my opinion) even if you spend like 3k€ on gpus.
I think there are a few new articles about building pcs in your price range on the main page maybe you should take a look at them.

Have fun building mate!

here is the link:
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/q2-2015-newegg-system-builder-marathon-1600-gaming-pc,review-33242.html
Looks quite nice if you ask me. If you need a little extra in the future you could just add another 980 or maybe if you get lucky you could find a nice offer for a 980ti.

migronesien

Honorable
I can't advise you a good build for 1500€ but i can tell you that you should go for 2560x1440 by now.
You wont be able to build a futureproof 4k rig with current hardware (in my opinion) even if you spend like 3k€ on gpus.
I think there are a few new articles about building pcs in your price range on the main page maybe you should take a look at them.

Have fun building mate!

here is the link:
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/q2-2015-newegg-system-builder-marathon-1600-gaming-pc,review-33242.html
Looks quite nice if you ask me. If you need a little extra in the future you could just add another 980 or maybe if you get lucky you could find a nice offer for a 980ti.

Solution

migronesien

Honorable
Here are some benchmarks @ 2560x1600
http://cdn3.wccftech.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/Nvidia-Geforce-GTX-980-Ti-Official-Gaming-Performance-Benchmarks.png

and here some @4k
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/nvidia-geforce-gtx-980-ti,4164-5.html

A single 980ti which costs 700-x€ here in germany can handle 4k in most games at an average of 35-50 fps which sounds fine.
But i think that it will struggle to keep an average of 30fps in upcoming games like late 2015 or 2016+
If you can afford to buy a second one at that time go for it.
But i would still stick to 1440p for now.
Maybe in 1-2 years hardware will be advanced enough and a little bit more affordable to play everything at 4k without major problems.

But this is just my opinion if you want to go for 4k do it. :)

Greetings

The answer if GTX980Ti is 4k proof is both yes and no.
If you play games, it depends of the game and your desired settings, for games like Witcher 3 definitely not really future-proof.
No single GPU can run e.g. Witcher 3 all ultra with hairworks on @ 4k, if you aim solid 60 fps or higher.

With 2560x1440, GTX980Ti really shines!
Actually, just stay away from 4k unless you want to do real investment like 2xGTX980Tis.

vegegegegegegito

Reputable
Feb 10, 2015
1700 without the monitor and no SLI? Well, you can't really get above 60 fps without SLI currently (in very demanding triple A titles anyway) such as the witcher 3 or Crysis 3. 980 ti is your best bet so far in my opinion. Pretty much a slightly cut down Titan X. You should aim for 1440p 144hz or something like that. Looks beautiful and is smooth as hell.

migronesien

Honorable
So far i would recommend:
980ti
i7-4790k (5 series is not worth it and slower in gaming atm)
16 (!!) gb of DDR3 RAM (believe me you need 16 on 1440p)
a quality 700w PSU should be more than enough for the system (look for gold/platinum certificate)
you just have to look up a fitting mobo and a good looking case with nice airflow
since you dont plan the oc i see no point in buying additional coolers for the cpu and so on as long temps are fine
hdd, ssd whatever you want...i can recommend seagate barracuda hdds because they are quite cheap and bring good capacity for a good price.

Have fun looking for parts and building. :)

If you do not plan to OC use this as reference:
E3-1231V3, H97 mobo, 16GB RAM and a single GTX980Ti.
If you do not plan to SLI 650-750W should be enough ( I added already some head-room)
If you plan to SLI 850-1000W should be enough ( I added already some head-room) and go for Z97 mobo.
You can add a second GTX980Ti later, no need to get it now as it will go over your budget.
And, do not forget to get an SSD.