[SOLVED] best GPU / CPU pair with 1440p 60Hz monitor

Jan 13, 2019
Hello,
I want to assemble a new gaming PC. Mainly I play games like The Witcher, Dragon Age, Mass Effect, GTA, etc. but sometimes I also like playing FPS online. I have an IPS 1440p / 60Hz monitor and I'm undecided about which graphic card to buy: GTX 1070 (Ti) or RTX2070. Consider that in general I rarely change the PC or upgrade it, so I would like to have something that lasts as long as possible over time. I would also need some advice on which CPU to pair (I prefer Intel).

Thanks

Solution
As a long time 1440p owner (7+ years), you don't need the extra MHz of the K-series. Save your money and buy an i5 9500 if it's primarily for gaming. I have countless benchmarks of games with my old i5 4690K running stock (3.5GHz) and overclocked (up to 4.8GHz). Very, and I do mean *very* few, games react to faster CPU speed when resolution and quality in game settings are maxed out. Running productivity apps like video editing on the other hand is a whole other matter in reaction to a faster CPU speed.
As a long time 1440p owner (7+ years), you don't need the extra MHz of the K-series. Save your money and buy an i5 9500 if it's primarily for gaming. I have countless benchmarks of games with my old i5 4690K running stock (3.5GHz) and overclocked (up to 4.8GHz). Very, and I do mean *very* few, games react to faster CPU speed when resolution and quality in game settings are maxed out. Running productivity apps like video editing on the other hand is a whole other matter in reaction to a faster CPU speed.

Solution

Suppose it would be OK, I would stick with an 8700K however for the long term.

If you want a 9th gen go with the 9700K.

Since you are playing at 1440P and don't upgrade that often.