Best GPU for Alienware x51 box

Zero81

Reputable
Mar 18, 2014
I have an Alienware x51 with a 330w PSU.
16GB Ram
3.4GHz

The current video card inside is a GTX 555

Was looking to upgrade to the best on that'll work in this case.

Solution
CraigN is right, the 750 Ti is good for that PSU, you could also get a Radeon R7 260, they can be had for like $120 (in the US) if on a tight budget.

Dry

dauran

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2011
Both are wrong... The X51 can equip a GTX770 sense the max factor factory built models has GTX770's equiped. The X51 has the room if you can measure the GPU space inside the X51 and then buy a GTX770 that = that size or smaller.

The Watts of the 330psu = more then that. Tech's has stated its more near 400-500 watts for GPU's but don't quote me on the number but its near that.

ppl has got large GTX670s to fit and runs good but GTX700's Req less power and can be smaller if you buy the right brand. But like i said Dell equips GTX770s in X51's now days with the same PSU but it might be upgraded.
I got that model and my old X51 and both PSU work on my new X51 with the GTX770. I get the same fps with both PSU, no crashes no shutdowns.
Most ppl who reply on a question about the X51 do not even know what it is. They think its a normal desktop with a internal PSU

CraigN

Distinguished

This thread is two months old - but to address your points..
The max factory built X51s have up to a 760 Ti, not a 770. As can be seen from their own product page.
http://www.dell.com/us/p/alienware-x51-r2/pd.aspx#overrides=dpcwxy05s:6~G760TI

330W is *very* underpowered for a 770. As long as that card never hits full load, you'll be fine, but eventually, you will wear out that PSU, or you will underpower and possibly short your graphics card if it decides it needs more power than the PSU can dish out. Now I don't know about you, but I'd rather not run the risk of losing my $1000+ mini-desktop including the $350 video card I decided to add to it because I was too cheap to save $60 for at least a 550W PSU first.

It takes two seconds on a google search to figure out what an X51 is, so being condescending isn't necessary. We made him a recommendation that was both informed and economical. Just because you've gotten lucky and never fried a PSU or a video card using an underpowered PSU doesn't mean it doesn't (or won't) happen, so personally, I find it prudent that when I give advice so that forum goer x doesn't come back a month later saying "I followed this guys advice and then fried my PC."

http://forum-en.msi.com/faq/article/power-requirements-for-graphics-cards

I have this link favorited just for these kinds of posts. Granted, the minimum suggested PSU is based on the manufacturer's recommendation, not the actual required, it gives you currents for the 12V rails for the more popular cards, which means you can easily figure out the minimum you could *get by* with.