[SOLVED] Best gpu for old i7-930 @ 3.8ghz?

Jan 27, 2021
I was wondering what is the best GPU that an i7-930, overclocked to 3.8 ghz can run? It's just a franken build of some old parts and some new but it works for my needs, just hoping it is possible to upgrade my GPU.
I am building a modern system from scratch and keeping my old franken build with the i7-930 as well. I will not be changing the processor or motherboard on the old rig since it is just fine for my work and I am building a whole nother system for modern games.
Pretty much just wondering what's the best GPU I could put in my old build?
i7-930 @3.8 ghz
MSI 970 100me
40 gb ddr3 RAM
Corsair H70 AIO
WD blue SSD
Exos Enterprise HDD

Last edited:
Solution
Best between Rtx 2060/super & Gtx 1660/super or Rx 5600. Depending on a lower budget, an RX 580 go fairly cheap.

Comparisons between those,

Btw, is that actually 60GB worth of ram?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Best between Rtx 2060/super & Gtx 1660/super or Rx 5600. Depending on a lower budget, an RX 580 go fairly cheap.

Solution
Jan 27, 2021

Thank you for those recommendations, that is fantastic information. I actually have 40 GB of RAM sorry that was a typo.
So my processor could handle a 2060 super? That would be awesome, I thought it was too old. I understand the bottleneck concept to some extent but hoping it won't be an issue?

Jan 27, 2021
Thank you for those recommendations, that is fantastic information.

No, haha it's 40GB, that was a typo.
So it could handle a 2060 super?
That would be great! Would I have to worry about bottleneck(srry may be stupid question)?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Won't be an issue mostly. Perhaps high frame rates may upset your cpu somewhat, depending on resolution/ details and how intensive a game is. You'll mostly play with fair amount of details i imagine so i wouldn't think any of those cards would be trouble.

What's 40GB made of?

Jan 27, 2021
Won't be an issue mostly. Perhaps high frame rates may upset your cpu somewhat, depending on resolution/ details and how intensive a game is. You'll mostly play with fair amount of details i imagine so i wouldn't think any of those cards would be trouble.

What's 40GB made of?
Thanks, my RAM consists of:
G.Skill Ripjaws X Series (ddr3)
4 x 8GB + 2 x 4GB to fill 6 slots
ASUS P6X58D mobo, if that matters...

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Oh cool. Was wondering if your motherboard could take 8gb sticks. Are they all operating in triple channel? Cpuz will say if they are in channels # field under memory tab. Im assuming you have them in the correct slots to triple the 4s along with the 8s.