Best GPU for this build (i3 3210 + 8GB DDR3)?

Rishabh Tejan

Honorable
Jul 10, 2013
My question is same as the title.

I know this has been asked many times but, after reading all the stuff on the internet I am confused.

What I already have:
Intel Core i3 3210 @3.2 GHz ( I know its crappy)
Gigabyte B75-MD3H mobo
Kingston DDR3 8GB (4gb x2) @ 1600 MHz
600w psu

I cant decide on the gpu
This rig is for gaming @ 1080p (or higher) 40~60 fps (or better).
I DONT want SLI/Crossfire. I DONT want multi monitor setup.
I'm interested in all AAA titles.... Skyrim,,BF3,COD,Crisis,AC 4,GTA4.......... etc etc.

I want to avoid overkill.
If I buy a lower end card, then it would be money wastage and poor graphics.
If I buy I a card higher than whats required, then it'll be an overkill and make the cpu a bottleneck.
I know the cpu is pretty outdated.... I want a perfect balance with the cpu & gpu.

Budget is 25000 INR (around 350$) so dont hesitate to suggest good gpus based on price.

Some people say gtx 560 ti is the best match.... anything higher is overkill.
Some say that even gtx 760 will perform flawlessly.....
I AM HIGHLY CONFUSED !!

Solution

660ti is fine. the zotac model is decent but not the best (unless you're getting reference, in which case they're all the same. please give us a link or the exact model name so we know.

other than that, bf3 or bf4 are both playable with an i3, I'm not saying they're not. however, given your requirement of 40-60fps (which is reasonable), I can tell you with 100% certainty that you will lag in big fire-fights, especially on the maps with more players. now...
first of all, for your requirements: to get 40-60fps or better @ 1080p for AAA titles, you'll need a better CPU than i3 3210. especially for CPU heavy titles such as BF3, the upcoming BF4, Skyrim, etc etc. you WILL BE CPU BOTTLENECKED

that being said, for what you have, I agree with what other people have said, a gtx760 should be the optimal card

Spinny99

Honorable
May 28, 2013
I mean, he could go with a 660ti ( I recommend the Nvidia Reference card), or possibly the 560ti Boost. I'll just let you know right now, don't plan on playing BF4 with anything below a 660ti (Even the 660ti has a hard time) because currently, people are lagging with medium cards. It's most likely just a beta thing though, hopefully. And vmem is completely right, you WILL bottleneck. I'll be completely honest, your build is not good for gaming.

Rishabh Tejan

Honorable
Jul 10, 2013
Thank you for your opinion.
I can understand that the cpu is only dual core.... so it is weaker in performance.
But its not the weakest...... I have seen many guys with i3 playing games....
For now I'll go with 660ti..... i'm getting one for cheap.
Is the zotac model good?

660ti is fine. the zotac model is decent but not the best (unless you're getting reference, in which case they're all the same. please give us a link or the exact model name so we know.

other than that, bf3 or bf4 are both playable with an i3, I'm not saying they're not. however, given your requirement of 40-60fps (which is reasonable), I can tell you with 100% certainty that you will lag in big fire-fights, especially on the maps with more players. now personally, I would deem the game as unplayable if performance dropped below 30fps in a multiplayer firefight

Solution