Best GPU setup for my gaming rig

Wtootell

Honorable
Feb 1, 2014
So currently I am lacking any kind of graphical power in my gaming rig, seems like madness, but I build it out of old an new parts.

I don't want to spend £1000's, yet, on GPU's so bang for buck which is better, 2 GTX 770 in SLI or a GTX Titan Black edition.

I don't mind doing a bit of OC'ing on them but currently don't have the cooling to maintain anything to high.

Cheers

Solution
if you budget to go with 780ti so that would be much easier to handle . . you will need another card more later then the 770 . . but 770 is sli is a good option to go with . .but same thing it is SLI....
a single gtx 770 will give you all the horsepower you need to play all the latest games. but if you want overkill then 2 of them will out perform a titan black by a good margin on most games... (i say most as occasionally you will find a game that doesnt support dual gpu's. most do but the odd 1 doesnt).
the only reason to buy a titan is for the unlocked math processor so if you dont do mathematical modeling theres no real reason to pick 1 of them over a gtx 780ti or a 770 for that matter.

you also said old parts. what kind of old parts as the gpu's listed will need a recent mid-high end cpu to get the best out of them.

TG_thoMz

Reputable
Feb 15, 2014
SLI 770's will give you way better frames, but if you want to run multiple monitors then the 780ti is your best bet. BE doesn't justify cost over 780ti, and you could always add a second 780ti later.

One GTX770 gets you ~30fps in the more graphically demanding games @1080p- which may be playable for some but you might as well play on an xbox360. @1440p or with a 120hz monitor the 770 becomes underpowered in a lot of games unless you lower your settings which sort of defeats the purpose of building a high end gaming rig. 780ti is the only single card (single gpu) that starts to make games play smooth as silk at max settings, but sli (760's, 770's,780's) is the way to go.

papablista

Honorable
Jun 10, 2012
A 780ti will do anything you need, What are the rest of your system specs, will it handle a top card,
IMHO one powerful card is better than sli any day. Consider the PSU requirements, CPU / FSB bottle-necking etc. Nothing else you'll save tons of $ on your energy bill. PLUS you can sell your current card and recoup some money.

TG_thoMz

Reputable
Feb 15, 2014

High end GPU's cost $2-$2.50 per month to run for a avid gamer (2-4hrs/day).

Wtootell

Honorable
Feb 1, 2014
Ok so I currently am running a i7 4820k oc'd to 4.5GHz with no throttling issues, 16Gb of Vengeance ram and a RM750 PSU with a GA X79 UD3 mobo, so I figure I'm good for all that. Monitor wise I have 3 Asus VG248QE which are running through a Nvidia GeForce GT430 and a AMD Radeon HD 6570.

Power isn't an issue as I have it at my office and when it eventually moves home bills are included in rent. :)

I want to aim to be gaming at 1440p at 144Mhz so I know I need some grunt, just don't want to throw away my money for no reason.

Main point is, is it worth spending £200 more for a single GPU than running in SLI

Wtootell

Honorable
Feb 1, 2014

I get what you mean, but would it not be as future safe to check another 770 in later down the line if it starts to lag behind. For the money at least you can buy 3 770's for the price of a 780ti and is the that much better.

I know 3 GPU's doesn't equal 3 times the power and will come with its own problems but I struggle to see how one card can be that much better. Cooling alone with be easier with the heat and energy transferred over 3 cards.

Wtootell

Honorable
Feb 1, 2014
I know it is fairly irrelevant but 3 GPU's watercooled with an EVGA pro bridge is a beautiful thought. However I don't want my PC looking like a ricer car.

Maybe the 780ti and go Sli next year or in a few month depending how broke I want to be.

TRENDING THREADS