Best GPU Solution For This Build

SnowyWhite

Honorable
Jul 17, 2013
Hey guys, I'm building a new PC in the next week or so and getting thrown by some different articles/opinions I've been reading on GPU setups, I'm wondering if someone can answer this once and for all.

I'm using a Thermaltake Level 10 GT case, with an Asus Z87-Pro Motherboard. Also using an i5 4670K and Corsair Vengeance RAM, 16gb.

I'm happy to spend a lot of money on the GPU setup, so I'm wondering which of these options I'd be better to go for:

1) A GTX 690
2) Two/Three 770s SLI
3) Two 780s SLI

I'm told all of the above would be faster than a Titan. I want to play high end games on super high (if not the highest) settings @2560x1440, and I want to do so for years. Is cooling going to be an issue?

Thanks in advance!

SnowyWhite

Honorable
Jul 17, 2013

Oh, I was looking at sophiebeth's reference to "blower style" cooler, I thought that's what the enclosed cards were, but I'm no expert. Aren't those Amazon ones open-air? Will that cause issues if they're right next to each other on the board?

Thanks for the help!

sophiebeth100

Honorable
Mar 14, 2013
I personally find blower-style coolers better for more than one card as they shoot the heat out of the back of the case, instead of shooting it down onto the below card. However, if you have good airflow in your case then the fan-style cooler would be great, too.

yeah... the reference design cooler for the 780 has some overheating issues on both the 780 and 770... not sure why it looks like a great cooler. but people have been running into throttling problems at stock settings with them. So you are best with a 3rd party solution.

SnowyWhite

Honorable
Jul 17, 2013
Hey guys, just wanted to say thanks very much for all the advice! I went with the Windforce 780s, and they're running beautifully, as is the rest! It's an awesome system, this is how it turned out:

http://i.imgur.com/UHPZ5tD.jpg

I've moved the RAM across since, apparently it's supposed to be in the other two slots away from the CPU. Don't know why, didn't question that. At any rate, this has handled everything I've thrown at it so far, so thanks for all your answers!