[SOLVED] best gpu to buy

sqizzzzel

Commendable
Nov 5, 2019
Recently I was thinking about buying a new graphics card the one i currently have is a 1050ti i was wondering is it worth buying a 1060 3gb card if not can u suggest a graphics card around $200 or under that would be worth upgrading to.

Solution
Assuming you're talking US prices, you should be able to get something better than a 1060 3GB for $200. Keep in mind that a 1060 3GB has 10% fewer cores than the 6GB version, in addition to having less VRAM, so even in games where VRAM isn't a concern, it should get around 10% lower performance than that model.

Also note that the Radeon RX 570 offers about the same performance on average compared to a 1060 3GB (it will be faster in some games and slower in others) and similarly the RX 580 offers about the same performance as a 1060 6GB, and they are generally available for less, with a number of RX 570s priced below $150, even some 8GB models.

RX 570: https://pcpartpicker.com/products/video-card/#sort=price&c=392
RX 580...

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED
Recently I was thinking about buying a new graphics card the one i currently have is a 1050ti i was wondering is it worth buying a 1060 3gb card if not can u suggest a graphics card around $200 or under that would be worth upgrading to.

The XFX RX 580 got decent frames $ is under $180.
The EVGA 1060 3GB SC got decent frames as well and is as low as $130 (Refurb) & $190 new. I have this exact card, only the 6GB version & it's been rock solid these past 3 years.
Depending on the games you play, the 1060 +/- the 580.

Is $200 the absolute max you can go? What games do you play? Whats your PC's specs? PSU info as well please.

sqizzzzel

Commendable
Nov 5, 2019
The XFX RX 580 got decent frames $ is under $180.
The EVGA 1060 3GB SC got decent frames as well and is as low as $130 (Refurb) & $190 new. I have this exact card, only the 6GB version & it's been rock solid these past 3 years.
Depending on the games you play, the 1060 +/- the 580.

Is $200 the absolute max you can go? What games do you play? Whats your PC's specs? PSU info as well please.
my pc spec is ryxen 1400 a 1050ti 16gb of ddr4 and my psu is 450 and the games i play are things like Rainbow Six siege and pubg and yess 200 is max thats not including shipping so would a 1060 3gb be worth the upgrade like how would vram fair?

Assuming you're talking US prices, you should be able to get something better than a 1060 3GB for $200. Keep in mind that a 1060 3GB has 10% fewer cores than the 6GB version, in addition to having less VRAM, so even in games where VRAM isn't a concern, it should get around 10% lower performance than that model.

Also note that the Radeon RX 570 offers about the same performance on average compared to a 1060 3GB (it will be faster in some games and slower in others) and similarly the RX 580 offers about the same performance as a 1060 6GB, and they are generally available for less, with a number of RX 570s priced below $150, even some 8GB models.

RX 570: https://pcpartpicker.com/products/video-card/#sort=price&c=392
RX 580: https://pcpartpicker.com/products/video-card/#sort=price&c=391

Those cards do draw more power than their 1060 counterparts though, so your 450 watt PSU may be a concern with them, depending on the model, so it might be worth sticking with something like 1060 if buying a card at the moment. Unfortunately, the 1060 is a previous-gen model now, so stock of the cards is getting low, and if buying new, prices tend to not be all that competitive.

It is possible to find some current-gen GTX 1660 cards on sale around this price range though, and those should be around 20% faster than a GTX 1060 6GB or RX 580 (Or around 30% faster than a 1060 3GB or RX 570), while only drawing slightly more power than a 1060. Now that the 1660 SUPER recently launched, prices of the standard 1660 are starting to see some better sale prices. Currently there's one available for under $200, but that's only after a $15 mail in rebate (and not including tax, if applicable for your state). There are some others with decent multi-fan coolers for around $210 though. Those are still arguably a better value than a new 1060 3GB from a cost-to-performance standpoint...

https://pcpartpicker.com/products/video-card/#sort=price&c=439

If you absolutely can't go over $200, it might be worth waiting some weeks see what new cards come out. AMD is likely to be launching new RX 5500 cards soon that will likely be priced somewhere in the vicinity of $200, with better efficiency and performance than the RX 570 and 580. And we may see even better prices on the GTX 1660, with more cards potentially dropping under $200. This is especially relevant with "Black Friday" sales going on this month.

Last edited:
Solution

Mali_Mrav

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2016
Don t want to open new post,so can you recommend graph card from this list ?
Have old R9 270 (2GB) so every card gona be better :giggle:

ASRock PHANTOM GXR RX570 4G OC
XFX RX-570P8DFD6 (4GB)
Asus Expedition RX570-O4G
XFX RX 570 RX-570P4DFD6 (8GB)
Asus DUAL-RX580-O4G
ASRock PHANTOM GDR RX570 4G

Last edited:

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED
If you absolutely can't go over $200, it might be worth waiting some weeks see what new cards come out. AMD is likely to be launching new RX 5500 cards soon that will likely be priced somewhere in the vicinity of $200, with better efficiency and performance than the RX 570 and 580. And we may see even better prices on the GTX 1660, with more cards potentially dropping under $200. This is especially relevant with "Black Friday" sales going on this month.

Black Friday & Cyber Monday are both good options if he is in the US as sales will be nice. As for waiting, we could advise @sqizzzzel to wait & save up until he could buy a 2080Ti, but I don't think he want's to wait. :) The 1660 is a very nice card. Here's a quick video of his 1050Ti, both 1060's & the 1660. Looked at cards under the $200 mark before rebates. If possible to wait a little longer, the MSI 1660 Ventus for $213 is a sweet card. B&H has a -$15 promo as well. As you mentioned, the 5500 is another possibility, but again, comes down to waiting to see as we don't have firm prices yet. This 580 is $164 with promo and it's a little better. Funny how one site will show the 1660 beating the 580, which beats the 570, only for another site to show the 570 beating the 1660..

sqizzzzel

Commendable
Nov 5, 2019
Black Friday & Cyber Monday are both good options if he is in the US as sales will be nice. As for waiting, we could advise @sqizzzzel to wait & save up until he could buy a 2080Ti, but I don't think he want's to wait. :) The 1660 is a very nice card. Here's a quick video of his 1050Ti, both 1060's & the 1660. Looked at cards under the $200 mark before rebates. If possible to wait a little longer, the MSI 1660 Ventus for $213 is a sweet card. B&H has a -$15 promo as well. As you mentioned, the 5500 is another possibility, but again, comes down to waiting to see as we don't have firm prices yet. This 580 is $164 with promo and it's a little better. Funny how one site will show the 1660 beating the 580, which beats the 570, only for another site to show the 570 beating the 1660..
no im not in the U.S sadly im in Europe so idk how that fairs for prices also waht is the rx580 4gb version like is it like the equivalent to a 1060 but just last vram ?

Last edited:

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED
no im not in the U.S sadly im in Europe so idk how that fairs for prices also waht is the rx580 4gb version like is it like the equivalent to a 1060 but just last vram ?

Black Friday is quickly becoming a "thing" on your side of the pond as well with 11 European countries, Austria, Belgium, Denmark, France, Germany, Italy, Netherlands, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, and the United Kingdom having begun to observe it. So depending on where you live.... Keep an eye out come Friday November 29th! :) Check local electronic stores like Amazon in your area.

As for the 580, it is slightly better overall vs the 1060 3GB. Here are a few games tested between those 2 cards. Of course some cards may fair better than their brethren due to tweaks by their respective vendors.

sqizzzzel

Commendable
Nov 5, 2019
no im not in the U.S sadly im in Europe so idk how that fairs for prices
Black Friday is quickly becoming a "thing" on your side of the pond as well with 11 European countries, Austria, Belgium, Denmark, France, Germany, Italy, Netherlands, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, and the United Kingdom having begun to observe it. So depending on where you live.... Keep an eye out come Friday November 29th! :) Check local electronic stores like Amazon in your area.

As for the 580, it is slightly better overall vs the 1060 3GB. Here are a few games tested between those 2 cards. Of course some cards may fair better than their brethren due to tweaks by their respective vendors.
well i live in ireland so ill have a look for black friday but im look at rx570 and i have no iead witch one to get like can usend some links for a few bec idk one from the other

Performance-wise, typically all models of a particular graphics card will tend to perform fairly similar, generally within a few percent or so. Some will offer better coolers than others though, which can help them run quieter and cooler. For an RX 570, I would ideally look for a model with at least two fans, though the design of the heat sink matters too, and it's often hard to determine how big a heat sink is behind the fan shroud without checking reviews.

4GB vs 8GB can make some difference too. At the resolutions these cards are designed for (1080p and below) the vast majority of current games usually won't see any major performance difference between having 4GB or 8GB of VRAM, provided the computer has enough system RAM to shuffle things out to when necessary. Shuffling data out to RAM can potentially cause some instability to frame rates though, particularly if you have less than 16GB of RAM. Future games are likely to benefit more from having additional VRAM as well. If an 8GB model doesn't cost much more than a 4GB one (within not much more than $10 or so), its probably worth going with the one with more VRAM.

Or better yet, select the card in their video card section rather than going through search, so you can sort things by various criteria...

https://ie.pcpartpicker.com/products/video-card/#c=392&sort=price&page=1

You can also show Ireland prices using the drop-down to the upper right of the page, though it seems not many Irish stores are tracked by PCPartPicker. Just CustomPC, it seems, and they only have two models of RX 570s in stock. Eh. : P I'm not sure what electronic stores are even available in Ireland, so you might have to look around.

Reactions: Mrgr74

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED
Or better yet, select the card in their video card section rather than going through search, so you can sort things by various criteria...

https://ie.pcpartpicker.com/products/video-card/#c=392&sort=price&page=1

You can also show Ireland prices using the drop-down to the upper right of the page, though it seems not many Irish stores are tracked by PCPartPicker. Just CustomPC, it seems, and they only have two models of RX 570s in stock. Eh. : P I'm not sure what electronic stores are even available in Ireland, so you might have to look around.

True to both. I just tried to make it as simple as possible for him. GPU name + Price. Also tried to get his local prices to show, but the site didn't want to cooperate on my end, so thanks for doing so. :)