Best Graphic card possible for HP Compaq Elite 8200 SFF

Raiser001

Commendable
Oct 18, 2016
Hi, guys I previously asked regarding my pc however I had some info mixed up. Now that i am certain about my machine i would like to know what is best graphic card that i can install into my HP Compaq Elite 8200 SFF:

Processor: Intel i5 (TM) 3.1 Ghz
Ram: 8 GB
Storage 250gb SSD

I am interested in MSi Geforce 750ti graphic card, however if you guys know a better one that will work on my SFF, i would love to know, much appreciated.

Solution
I did it and it runs like a beauty. No power problems. The issue is that it doesn't fit the chassis and I leave the opening side slightly covered by the lid. Sorry, but that's the answer.

Raiser001

Commendable
Oct 18, 2016

Would this card work on a SFF and that it has 250 PSU

I think that would really be pushing it even for the 750. The 750 has a TDP of 60 watts, and the 1050 has a TDP 75 watts. Both cards state a 300 watt PSU minimum. If you've got an older i5 it's probably got a 95 watt TDP leaving even less power for a GPU.

Raiser001

Commendable
Oct 18, 2016

hmmm? ive seen ppl install a geforece 750 in a SFF with 250 watt on youtube and running it. Seems to work just fine on a SFF.

Also i see on Hp site they recommend a radeon, so wanted your thoughts on this card i found. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Powercolor-ATI-AMD-Radeon-R200-HD7750-2GB-DDR3-Video-Graphics-Card-/152280094012?hash=item237499d53c:g:yC0AAOSwYIxYAS54

HP recommends that card because it's an OEM model, ie one they sell. It's got a 55 watt tdp, and is roughly half the speed of a 750 ti. But now I'm not sure if it would fit.

I tried looking up your model, and got conflicting results. One said that model should have a 320 watt power supply, but an MXM connector. The other said you had low profile PCI connectors, and they aren't necessarily compatible. Finally, a lot of people also complained that HP BIOS are notorious for locking down which cards you're allowed to use.

Are you certain you've got a 250 watt PSU? Does your machine have a GPU in it already, and if so what's the exact model? And did the SSD come pre-installed (couldn't find any model with that option) or was it aftermarket?

Raiser001

Commendable
Oct 18, 2016

Yes it was already pre installed and It's a 240W original HP Power supply. SSD was installed by the technician i bought it from. This was a built computer. The reason why it didn't have a graphic card was because it was being used for business.

The GPU it has is standard, it isn't any thing special since it can't even run Asphalt 8 Airbourne or EVE online. I am looking for a Card that can run these 2 games and maybe perform even better but i know there isn't much option since my system is 240W. But would appreciate your suggestion on what graphic is best and possible for my system.

It looks like the guy you bought it from took a pre-built system, made some changes and resold it to you. As such, it's hard to tell what components it really has. The i5 in there is almost certainly a 2400 sandybridge however, given that it's 3.1 GHz. If you have the model with an MXM slot, there's almost nothing you can add to it. If you have PCI slots, you would need a low profile card. But that 240 watt PSU would be incredibly limiting. The i5 2400 has a TDP of 95 watts. After powering the mobo, ram, drives, fans, etc, that leaves almost nothing for a card. And that assumes the PSU can even deliver it's rated capacity now. PSU's lose efficiency over time, and they don't necessarily provide their full power over the 12v rail either. Even if it can technically power a 60 watt card, it could fail at any time potentially taking other components with it.

Raiser001

Commendable
Oct 18, 2016

I believe it's a PCI, knowing this what card can i get that will run those 2 games and not cause problems.

Raiser001

Commendable
Oct 18, 2016

Sorry I took so long, here is the information I got regarding my PCI Data from Motherboard.

PCI Data
Slot PCI-E
Slot Type PCI-E
Slot Usage Available
Data lanes x16
Slot Designation X16PCIEXP
Characteristics 3.3V, PME
Slot Number 0
Slot PCI-E
Slot Type PCI-E
Slot Usage Available
Data lanes x4
Slot Designation X4PCIEXP
Slot Number 1
Slot PCI-E
Slot Type PCI-E
Slot Usage Available
Data lanes x1
Slot Designation X1PCIEXP1
Slot Number 2
Slot PCI
Slot Type PCI
Slot Usage Available
Bus Width 32 bit
Slot Designation PCI1
Slot Number 3

Ar00gu

Commendable
Nov 17, 2016

I'm looking into this same setup as well. While the GTX 1050ti says in its reqs that it needs 400 watts to power, in practice that number goes down to 75 watts and stays around there.

So in terms of energy consumption, it should be alright. What remains to be seen is how the GPU fits into the SFF chassis. As the card has smaller dimensions than the recommended by HP but weak and puny Radeon 6450 card (which also says 400w required) I think the 1050ti will be a good fit.
I'm awaiting delivery of it so I'll let you know how it goes.
It seems as though in this power bracket, top limits are just suggestions.

Ar00gu

Commendable
Nov 17, 2016
I did it and it runs like a beauty. No power problems. The issue is that it doesn't fit the chassis and I leave the opening side slightly covered by the lid. Sorry, but that's the answer.

Solution

lwjecky

Reputable
Feb 10, 2016

Just asking a question about your pc. What model of the 1050ti did you buy and does it still work? Thank you in advance.

Horze

Distinguished
May 13, 2003
i too would love to know what model you bought and if still working fine
Also.. im concerned how it doesnt fit?
according to the specs, that card should fit in and be able to close the lid as there is exactly enough room for it
possible to take a photo?
thankyou in advance