Best graphics card for 144Hz 1080p?

Aug 29, 2018
I am looking for a good graphics card, I don't really have a budget, I just want good value for money.

Monitor has 144Hz, 1080p, FreeSync
CPU: i7-3770
RAM: 12GB
Current GPU: GTX-680

I mainly play R6S and BF4, sometimes Overwatch and No Mans Sky, and I will likely get BF5.

I have been looking at the RX-580 as I've read it's good for 1080p but I'm worried as it's mid-range then it might need upgrading soon after. I would like an AMD for the FreeSync but it's not necessary. I also imagine that if I go too high of a spec then I'll have a CPU bottleneck anyways.

Sorry if this is a poor question but it's my first one :D

Solution
Vega 56 is about 1070 performance level
Vega 64 is about 1080 performance level
Both are suitable for 1080p high fps.
64 should be the better future proofing.
Yup, mainly due to the price, 56 is more attractive.
Aug 29, 2018
Thank you all for the quick answers. It's a nice welcome.

I have the HP Omen 25 which one person claims (https://gametinge.com/2017/06/21/hp-omen-25-review) has a FreeSync range of 48-144Hz but I can't find any official documentation to back that up.

I was looking at the Vega series but I've heard they're noisy and run hot, I've heard the same about GTX-680 as well though so maybe it's not that bad.

According to thebottlenecker.com my i7-3770 would cause an 11% bottleneck which doesn't seem like the end of the world to me?

Is there any news about the new AMD cards and when they might be released? I was hoping they'd be announced by now to compete with the RTX-2080.

Some words about the potential bottleneck.
I7 3770 is a bottleneck for some new cpu heavy games, not on all games.
The bottleneck can be ignored for now.

HP Omen 25 is a FreeSync monitor. No doubt about that according to HP website.
Vega GPUs are relatively hot but it should not be a problem.
If you want to go for nVidia e.g. GTX1070, 1070ti or 1080, you just loose the FreeSync. This is not a big issue too.

I haven't heard anything real about AMD next gen GPU.

CRO5513Y

Expert
Ambassador
For the games you listed, an RX 580 should be sufficient at pushing at least 60 FPS @ 1080p High/Ultra settings. But if you're happy to invest more for a Vega 56 or 64 respectively, you'll obviously be giving yourself more to work with and thus should be able to push closer to the max framerate your monitor can output. I'd personally look at a Vega 56, the GTX 1070 does a good job at 1080p high refresh rate and the Vega 56 usually performs similarly if not better in some of the games you listed, particularly BF4 as you can run it in Mantle on a Radeon card. Most DX12/Vulkan titles see slight performance edges on the Vega 56 too (compared to the 1070), and i imagine BF5 will be considering BF1 was DX12. Hope this helps! :)

Aug 29, 2018

Okay, so it seems that I don't really have to worry about a bottleneck on this upgrade then.

Are they okay with being hot? I currently only have air cooling so will this be enough to keep it running okay?

I have no allegiance to Nvidia and would like to use FreeSync so I would actually prefer an AMD card :)

Aug 29, 2018

I currently go for low settings on R6S to get about 100 FPS and I'd like to at least keep that frame-rate but improve the quality to high/ultra so for that do you think I'd need the Vega 64 or will the 56 do just fine? I noticed that you mainly mentioned the 56, is that just for price reasons? I really do think I'd like an AMD if they are recommended because of FreeSync, DX12, and I've read that they tend to give higher FPS at 1080p compared to Nvidia of the same price.