[SOLVED] Best Graphics Card for 450W PSU?

Dec 22, 2020
Hi, here is my rig:
AsRock B85M Pro4
PSU: Chieftec GPS-450aa (450w)
CPU: Intel i5 4430 3.0ghz
RAM: 8GB
I need graphics card for my rig, i prefer AMD gpu's my PSU have 1x 6pin connector for gpu so take that in mind.

Solution
Thanks for recommendations, i found yesterday R7 370 4GB for low price is that graphics card good for my rig?

Seeing as how a GTX 1650 is barely capable of 1080p 60 fps on medium settings and a R7 370 has only about 50% of the performance of a 1650 (while drawing 35 more watts of power as well), it seems like a poor choice to me.
Hi, here is my rig:
AsRock B85M Pro4
PSU: Chieftec GPS-450aa (450w)
CPU: Intel i5 4430 3.0ghz
RAM: 8GB
I need graphics card for my rig, i prefer AMD gpu's my PSU have 1x 6pin connector for gpu so take that in mind.

Few modern GPUs are powered by a single 6 pin PCI connector; if a GPU needs a power connector, it'll probably be an 8 pin. So unless you're willing to upgrade your PSU, you'll be limited to GPUs with no PCI power connectors whatsoever.

Your setup mostly limits you to Nvidia GPUs; AMD GPUs have higher power requirements and your PSU is not well-equipped to meet them. The best GPU you can install in your system with no PCI power connectors is a GTX 1650 (non-super).

Reactions: nikolic23
You can use a 6 pin to 8pin adapter normally but that psu doesn't appear to be of good quality.
You could likely get by with an adapter, not sure if I would or not. The rest of your system is very low power draw.

rx580/480/570/470
1650/ super
gtx1060
There are 6 pin rx 580's it's by gainward or asrock I can't remember

Don;t worry about this down vote, the person is just being conservative due to the lesser psu.

Even with a 160 watt card using adapters that leaves you at 280 watts for the entire system at full load, I would think even your current psu could handle that. I wouldn't do it personally but that's not to say it can't be done.

Writing this post from a PC with a 70 watt cpu 160 watt gpu on a 5 year old 430 watt dell power supply using an 8pin adapter and I just finished playing battlefield 5

Last edited:
Reactions: nikolic23

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
If the model is correct, it's a cheaply made, group-regulated PSU that's more than a decade since manufacture.

IWith something like this, it's smart to avoid any GPU that requires supplementary power, which pretty much means 1650 non-Super. This PSU is decrepit that I wouldn't use any discrete GPU that cost me actual money with it. Or, really, at all.