Question Best graphics card for Asus G11 CD

Nov 30, 2022
Hi,I have an Asus G11 CD with motherboard Asus H-110-I, CPU Intel i7 6700, 32 GB of RAM (Kingston) and 2 TB of SSD, plus a 550W power supply (iPower 85). Currently I have a Geforce GTX 1050 but I would like a better graphics card. What is the best graphics card I can buy without having to change my power supply and without suffering from any major bottlenecks please? I was looking at the Gtx 1660 super, but the RTX 2060 and the RTX 2070 super look a lot better on paper! Any advice please? Thanks a lot!

Jan 18, 2023
rx 6600 would be your best bet -
it is as power efficient as gtx 1660Ti but at the same time has the performance of 2060 super/2070
(even though it is only pcie 4.0 x8 card and your motherboard will cut down its bandwidth even further
but even when running at 3.0 x8/2.0 x8 bandwidth it still gives you 95% of its max. performance) .
I got similar setup but my case form factor limits my choice to two fan gpu (optiplex 7040MT). I run rx6600, i76700, 32GB RAM, SSD NVME, PSU Corsair sf600 (600W). I got used rx6600 for $160. Thought about upgrading to some better gpu but it look like with 2 fan height, the maximum so could fit is rx6700. Not sure about nvidia.

I do play games on 65 tv with 120HZ with free sync enabled, and would definietly benefit playing on games with native resolution at 1440p upscaled to 2160p rather than 1080p upscaled to 4k. Some games older like BL2 I get away with 1800p upscaled to 4K high setting at 100fps, even Bandicoot Trilogy no issue with its native 60fps at native 4K. Altough suspect the moment I install any more recent I will be locked to 1080p medium to high except ultra settings. Do you think my rig would benefit from better gpu or even better case with more efficient cooling? I typically get no more than 70C when maxing my gpu utilization and temperature of cpu stays low under 70c. I use noctua low profile cpu fan which runs quiet.

the problem is , even if you replace the case and add more powerful video card
you will run into limits of your CPU - sure older games would run fine - but they already do on rx 6600 ,
but in new AAA titles your cpu would struggle to keep up with new powerful cards ,
creating FPS drops in cpu heavy locations of the game , stuttering etc.
no matter what video card you put in your system .
even rx 6600 is held back at times and it´s about as good as you can get away with (with that cpu) .

Jan 18, 2023
you will run into limits of your CPU - sure older games would run fine - but they already do on rx 6600 ,
but in new AAA titles your cpu would struggle to keep up with new powerful cards ,
even rx 6600 is held back at times and it´s about as good as you can get away with (with that cpu) .
Thanks. I think I will keep it as it is. I do notice that even with Borderlands 2 where I get great performance, it ocassionally takes quite a bit to process Vulcan shaders cache before the game starts. At least 5 min but it could be as long as 10 min.

Jan 18, 2023
After getting Forza Horizon 5, I gave it some though and went ahead decided to upgrade cpu to R5 5700x, faster ram (2133–>3600), and replacing Rx 6600 with RX6650XT.
I will be able in future to upgrade card to high end like 4090 if I decide to after upgrading PSU 600W.