Best graphics card for hp h8 1234 desktop

jadeskyee

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2012
I would like to upgrade my graphics card,which card would be best. Thanks.
My specs

hp h8-1234
amd fx 6 core processor
16 gigs memory
Current graphics card -amd radeon hd 7450

Also, would I be able to use my amd radeon hd 7450 graphics card in my son's computer?
His specs

hp a6230n
5 gigs memory
ati radeon hd 5450
2 td hard drive

Solution
Your budget and your power supply determine the best GPU that you can have. But your CPU can also determine how fast your GPU can be before it will be limited by your CPU.

For a modest but significant upgrade I'd suggest the GTX 1050 Ti, or the lesser RX 560. Both have models that do not require a 6-pin PCIe connector from your power supply so either can work with a low wattage power supply. *You could go with more powerful GPUs if your power supply and budget can handle it, but your CPU would limit them in some games.

But for the sake of doing things right, what is your power supply?

I don't see why the HD 7450 wouldn't work in place of the HD 5450.
Your budget and your power supply determine the best GPU that you can have. But your CPU can also determine how fast your GPU can be before it will be limited by your CPU.

For a modest but significant upgrade I'd suggest the GTX 1050 Ti, or the lesser RX 560. Both have models that do not require a 6-pin PCIe connector from your power supply so either can work with a low wattage power supply. *You could go with more powerful GPUs if your power supply and budget can handle it, but your CPU would limit them in some games.

But for the sake of doing things right, what is your power supply?

I don't see why the HD 7450 wouldn't work in place of the HD 5450.

Solution

jadeskyee

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2012

jadeskyee

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2012
Honestly, I don't know my power supply, the card I have now came with my computer. I have never upgraded it, only added more ram and put in a larger secondary hard drive.

smp4488

Prominent
Sep 23, 2017
I spent a few hours looking into this and I did get my Radeon RX 580 working with this PC by doing a motherboard bios update. The PCI slots are version 2 and the video card is PCI 3. Everything I have read says they are backwards compatible.

I was getting no video after I installed my card. Updated the bios to HP version 8 and now the video card works. I had a hard time finding the bios update so the link is below. I have an H8-1234. I hope this helps someone. I registered here so I could respond in hopes someone else may be able to fix this issue also.

https://support.hp.com/rs-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-pavilion-hpe-h8-1200-desktop-pc-series/5187019/model/5231572

Aug 13, 2021
I spent a few hours looking into this and I did get my Radeon RX 580 working with this PC by doing a motherboard bios update. The PCI slots are version 2 and the video card is PCI 3. Everything I have read says they are backwards compatible.

I was getting no video after I installed my card. Updated the bios to HP version 8 and now the video card works. I had a hard time finding the bios update so the link is below. I have an H8-1234. I hope this helps someone. I registered here so I could respond in hopes someone else may be able to fix this issue also.

https://support.hp.com/rs-en/driver...-1200-desktop-pc-series/5187019/model/5231572

Amazing ! Thank you !