[SOLVED] Best graphics card that draws under 190w max?

OldNoobette

Commendable
Feb 1, 2020
Hi guys.
Bare with me, i have a silly and somewhat vague question.
Whats the "best" card that draw less than 190w under max load.
Or what key words would i use to research this?
I tried googling but it kept directing me to price not wattage.
Also i realize "best" is a somewhat loose term.
Sufficed to say, I guess my priorities are 1080 gaming and 3d rendering .
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.
P.S
I know nvidia is pretty much the low watt king, but if you can think of some good AMD cards also that would be great as i am leaning toward building a AMD system . I am not a "Brand fan" both cards are great.

Solution
GPUs - start here:

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gpu-buying-guide,5844.html

Power supply wattage calculator. There a number of them online. Use at least two or three calculators to tally up the recommended PSU wattages. Look for a consensus around the highest recommended wattage.

Or just do the calculations yourself by adding up the wattages for all installed components. It a wattage range is provided use the high wattage value. For the GPU use the manufacturer's recommended PSU wattage. Or a peak value if that is given.

Once the wattages are totaled add 25% to determine the PSU wattage.

Then purchase a well-reviewed and well-rated PSU as affordable as possible. Do not skimp on the PSU.

Ralston18

Titan
Why the concern/requirement regarding 190w?

Are you working with a low wattage PSU?

If you are working with gaming and 3D rendering then do yourself and your computer a favor and upgrade the PSU as well.

Add up the wattages of installed components. If a wattage range is given use the high end value.

Use the GPU's manufacturer's recommended PSU wattage - not the power draw value.

Total up the wattages, add 25%, and use that wattage value to select a PSU.

Reactions: OldNoobette

OldNoobette

Commendable
Feb 1, 2020
Budget?

Something like this offering would be a good, all-around GPU choice based on your original request.

https://www.newegg.com/asrock-radeon-rx-580-rx580-8g-oc/p/N82E16814930002
Yeah it always seems to come down to Budget.
Thanks for the suggestion.
that performance level is what i am looking for but the dual fan rx 580 is too big.
i did, however, find a used HP OEM rx 580 that is a small card, but im afraid of buying used be cause it could of been used for mining, and as i understand it, those cards ran 24 hours a day.
Also saw that gigabyte and powertech will be releasing a SFF/ ITX version of the the rx 5700. I would love to have that, but its just too expensive.

OldNoobette

Commendable
Feb 1, 2020
The multiple card reader: is that just for the various forms of SD cards, etc..?

Make, model?

I would not expect a card reader to draw much beyond negligible power. Likely less than 5 watts.

Just trying to ensure that I understand what you are referring to...
Thats a good point.
Although they are often full with my camera CompactFlash memory cards and SD's its crazy how much i depend on that old reader.

Ralston18

Titan
"Although they are often full with my camera CompactFlash memory cards and SD's its crazy how much i depend on that old reader."

Careful: Such words attract Mr. Murphy and/or Gremlins. :)

Serious point being that you need to be prepared for an eventual failure. Especially if the old reader is used for professional purposes and income.

Have a contingency plan in place.

OldNoobette

Commendable
Feb 1, 2020
Add up the wattages of installed components. If a wattage range is given use the high end value.

Use the GPU's manufacturer's recommended PSU wattage - not the power draw value.

Total up the wattages, add 25%, and use that wattage value to select a PSU.
Don't mean to be dragging this out and everyone has been very helpful But. ....
Aside from using my brain,. which is often unreliable,,,im guessing there is a calculator or web page that helps ad up system power usage?

OldNoobette

Commendable
Feb 1, 2020
OK. I have narrowed it down to these 4. Does anyone have experience or opinions on them?

#1 RX 5500 8gb small form factor $225
49495657326_96e0eaf512_c.jpg

#2 RX 5500 4gb small form factor $215
49495657306_3f4c654a4d_c.jpg

#3 RX 570 4gb small form factor $120
49495163523_d44e10e8bb_w.jpg

#4 HP RX 580 4gb USED $ 120
49495163518_2ef75d6f39_c.jpg

OK. I have narrowed it down to these 4. Does anyone have experience or opinions on them?

#1 RX 5500 8gb small form factor $225
49495657326_96e0eaf512_c.jpg

#2 RX 5500 4gb small form factor $215
49495657306_3f4c654a4d_c.jpg

#3 RX 570 4gb small form factor $120
49495163523_d44e10e8bb_w.jpg

#4 HP RX 580 4gb USED $ 120
49495163518_2ef75d6f39_c.jpg

RX570 Pulse seems like the best option, if you dont need that much more of a performance boost.
The other options are viable aswell. Suit yourself

Ralston18

Titan
GPUs - start here:

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gpu-buying-guide,5844.html

Power supply wattage calculator. There a number of them online. Use at least two or three calculators to tally up the recommended PSU wattages. Look for a consensus around the highest recommended wattage.

Or just do the calculations yourself by adding up the wattages for all installed components. It a wattage range is provided use the high wattage value. For the GPU use the manufacturer's recommended PSU wattage. Or a peak value if that is given.

Once the wattages are totaled add 25% to determine the PSU wattage.

Then purchase a well-reviewed and well-rated PSU as affordable as possible. Do not skimp on the PSU.

Solution