Best Graphics Cards For The Money: May 2011

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheTrueGamer

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2008
It's funny how people have the nerve to still call the editors at Tomshardware Nvidia fanboys after these charts just because they named the GTX 590 an 'overall' winner over the HD 6990 due to better acoustics and thermal management.

openi3

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2010
Which cards are beaten by the AMD APUs?
I'm simply asking to try and factor in what kind of "discount" you're buying the graphics capability on die at. That is the story behind fusion...
The light gamer crowd seems to have just scored a huge bonus of about $60 freebie with their AMD processor - not to mention that future APUs are likely to have better graphics and faster product-line refreshes...
cb

counterpart

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2009
I have a GTX 295 and am surprised to see it so far up the list. It's struggling in Battlefield BC 2 and I was contemplating upgrading to a GTX 570 for Battlefield 3. Should I really hold off as it is in the same performance category in the hierarchy table? Any feedback/your thoughts on this would be much appreciated!

cleeve

Illustrious
[citation][nom]counterpart[/nom]I have a GTX 295 and am surprised to see it so far up the list. It's struggling in Battlefield BC 2 and I was contemplating upgrading to a GTX 570 for Battlefield 3.[/citation]

What resolution and settings is it struggling with?

counterpart

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2009
[citation][nom]Cleeve[/nom]What resolution and settings is it struggling with?[/citation]

I play at 1920x1080. Framerate drops when I put it on highest detail settings so I play at medium settings.

My point though is that according to the above hierarchy chart the 295 is in the same performance class as the GTX 570. Somehow I doubt that...

cleeve

Illustrious
[citation][nom]counterpart[/nom]I play at 1920x1080. Framerate drops when I put it on highest detail settings so I play at medium settings. My point though is that according to the above hierarchy chart the 295 is in the same performance class as the GTX 570. Somehow I doubt that...[/citation]

Well lets look into that. What CPU you running? memory? And do a 60-second FRAPS run, I'd like to know your average frame rate at highest settings (no AA).

counterpart

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2009
[citation][nom]Cleeve[/nom]Well lets look into that. What CPU you running? memory? And do a 60-second FRAPS run, I'd like to know your average frame rate at highest settings (no AA).[/citation]

I was actually talking about this: http://community.futuremark.com/hardware/gpu-list/

I guess there is indeed not much difference between the GTX 295 and the GTX 570 performance wise. I think I'll hold off upgrading for right now. I guess I'll know for sure with the release of BF3.

cleeve

Illustrious
[citation][nom]counterpart[/nom]I was actually talking about this: http://community.futuremark.com/hardware/gpu-list/[/citation]

Ah. Yeah, Futuremark is *not* a real accurate way to compare different generations of GPUs.

cleeve

Illustrious
[citation][nom]bp86[/nom]Why is the ATI Mobility 4850 above the Mobility 4860?[/citation]

because the Mobility 4830/4860 have 640 pipelines and the Mobility 4850/4870 has 800 pipelines.

Yes, I know. It makes no sense. But you'll have to take that up with AMD. :)

G

I love this chart but it's a bit difficult to read. I think it would be easier if there were defined color coded price ranges that way when I do a page search for two cards I can compare them quicker. Obviously the prices change frequently, but you could date the price updates and it would at least provide an easier comparison.

G

This is terreble clearly favours AMD, true they have some great cards at the moment in the 6800 series but to not recommend any cards in nVidias range even though they also have an excellent lineup in the 500 series is Garbage even from this AMD users point of view!

Status
Not open for further replies.