Best Graphics Cards For The Money: October 2011

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

livebriand

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
One thing you didn't mention: AMD drivers tend to not be as good as nvidia's. In games nvidia drivers tend to be better, and AMD's catalyst control panel takes FOREVER to load on my spare machine (ok, it's only an amd e350 netbook, but still...), while the nvidia one on my main system doesn't (though it has a quad-core i5 CPU). Guess what? Since I'm ready to upgrade my main pc's graphics card, I'm looking into nvidia for that reason. Sure an AMD 6770 may be a bit cheaper than an nvidia 550ti, but it also offers slightly worse performance (just a tad), plus the drivers, and I found better card brands with nvidia.

flclkun

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
its also easy to tell who is giving out all the down votes too.

i guess AMD fans are still analpained about their BD failure (like a small company, compared to intel could ever muster the intelligence to create something better than what a multi-billion dollar company can produce). Tom's is just going out of their way to make them feel better about the ass pounding they took from the intel/nvidia crowd. So they recommended all AMD gpus this time around.

sometimes its good for people to tell a little white lie everyone once in awhile.

p.s. down voting this comment only proves how right i'am

borden5

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2011
[citation][nom]flclkun[/nom]its also easy to tell who is giving out all the down votes too.i guess AMD fans are still analpained about their BD failure (like a small company, compared to intel could ever muster the intelligence to create something better than what a multi-billion dollar company can produce). Tom's is just going out of their way to make them feel better about the ass pounding they took from the intel/nvidia crowd. So they recommended all AMD gpus this time around.sometimes its good for people to tell a little white lie everyone once in awhile.p.s. down voting this comment only proves how right i'am[/citation]
and their cpu "failure" relevant to gpu article how ??

verbalizer

Distinguished
one more thing, nVidia cost more but then it's also a better card.
overall, in-general, whatever.
and you have to admit better drivers than HD Radeon.
not trying to start a fight.
call it my opinion.

bpbarrette

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2011
For me it's 560 or 560 Ti. And that's because they have free copies of Batman, a $50 game I was going to get anyway, and it's a game that's not yet out. That HAS to put the 560's ahead of the AMD/ATI answers for the $170 to $300 range. Of course if you don't want the game like I do...

bpbarrette

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2011
For me it's 560 or 560 Ti. And that's because they have free copies of Batman, a $50 game I was going to get anyway, and it's a game that's not yet out. That HAS to put the 560's ahead of the AMD/ATI answers for the $170 to $300 range. Of course if you don't want the game like I do...

bpbarrette

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2011

bpbarrette

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2011

bpbarrette

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2011
For me it's 560 or 560 Ti. And that's because they have free copies of Batman, a $50 game I was going to get anyway, and it's a game that's not yet out. That HAS to put the 560's ahead of the AMD/ATI answers.

bpbarrette

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2011
Great, I kept trying to submit my comment and got an error multiple times saying my login failed. Finally fixed the login issue and now I have a bunch of posts. Lovely....

G

why the hell this is a private video beats me what a buch
of up-theire own arse loosers...

ghnader hsmithot

Distinguished
[citation][nom]malmental[/nom]one more thing, nVidia cost more but then it's also a better card.overall, in-general, whatever.and you have to admit better drivers than HD Radeon.not trying to start a fight.call it my opinion.[/citation]
Its the best opinion i have ever heard!

pyite

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2010
NVidia is smart (for business reasons) to discontinue the cheaper cards.

ATI's driver support is the worst - without a VDPAU equivalent their cards are useless. If they ever get their open source drivers to within 50% of the performance of NVidia's 3D and VDPAU, I'll be the biggest ATI fan of all time.

Until then, there is simply no alternative to NVidia.

Djentleman

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2011
Most the time, IMO, you get what you pay for! (of course this isn't true with anything and everything). It really depends on what you like, both match each other pretty well.

akula2

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2009
Apart from cooling, is there any performance difference between:

Radeon HD 6950 2 GB

vs

Sapphire Radeon HD 6950 2 GB Toxic?

I'm thinking to buy the latter, but I reckon there would be price difference for sure. Does it worth to spend a little more by going with Toxic? I would my previous Radeon HD 5850 2 GB Toxic, awesome card with great efficiency.

akula2

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2009
SAPPHIRE Toxic 100312TXSR Radeon HD 6950 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

vs

EVGA SuperClocked 012-P3-1572-AR GeForce GTX 570 (Fermi) 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

Both with same 800MHz clock.

Price is $270 with rebate vs $360

$90 difference keeps me to rethink on going back to GTX 570. Comments please.

Status
Not open for further replies.