[SOLVED] Best long term value CPU/MOBO combo?

blackkeys1098

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2016
I was originally looking to upgrade my cpu but it's looking like I should swap out my mobo too

Currently been running an Asus z170 with an Intel I5-6500 for 5+ years with no hickups but it's only a matter of time...

Question: what mobo/cpu setup is going to give me another 5 years of solid gaming?

I don't mind paying a little extra money for a motherboard that will survive a cpu change out in another half decade

AMD prefered but open to another intel rig

Budget is flexible but would prefer to keep it at or under $650

Suggestions?

Solution
I upgraded from an MSI Z170 and i5-6600 just recently. The old rig gave faultless gaming since 2016 but also felt it was time for an upgrade.
I held off until intel 12th gen was released which should give another 6 years of service and by then I most likely be too old for gaming (too mush stress for the heart!)
I kept the DDR4 so mobo Z690 was £190 and i5-12600k was £289, also new LGA 1700 cooler £49. total £550 ($737 US)
I upgraded from an MSI Z170 and i5-6600 just recently. The old rig gave faultless gaming since 2016 but also felt it was time for an upgrade.
I held off until intel 12th gen was released which should give another 6 years of service and by then I most likely be too old for gaming (too mush stress for the heart!)
I kept the DDR4 so mobo Z690 was £190 and i5-12600k was £289, also new LGA 1700 cooler £49. total £550 ($737 US)

Solution
I was originally looking to upgrade my cpu but it's looking like I should swap out my mobo too

Currently been running an Asus z170 with an Intel I5-6500 for 5+ years with no hickups but it's only a matter of time...

Question: what mobo/cpu setup is going to give me another 5 years of solid gaming?

I don't mind paying a little extra money for a motherboard that will survive a cpu change out in another half decade

AMD prefered but open to another intel rig

Budget is flexible but would prefer to keep it at or under $650

Suggestions?
I'm not making a recommendation, just an observation: If you're looking for 'future proofing', that's a false concept. You rode the wave of longevity mostly because Intel, in the absence of competition, did basically nothing for several years while AMD innovated.

But things are changing pretty fast now so it's hard to say if you'll fare nearly as well this time. But then again most of the gains are to the benefit of content creation workloads with 12 and 16 core CPU's, and not gaming workloads. You don't need a top-end CPU to get top-end gaming performance, even a 6 core CPU will suffice at that. It's the GPU that really determines gaming performance now, so budget for that first.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Wait. AMD will be releasing Zen4 sooner or later. That'll be a different platform to the current AM4 since it'll use DDR5, which is so new that it hasn't had time to mature and demands are crazy, making prices crazy. Most are opting for 12th gen Intel but remaining with DDR4 mobo's instead up going all out with DDR5.

The Zen4 release will shake up everything. The 5x series will lose demand, making availability higher, prices lower. You'll have options.