[SOLVED] Best low profile card to upgrade to from Gigabyte GT 1030 2GB?

shadowfiend

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2010
Looking to upgrade my GT1030 low profile for my modest gaming pc and currently looking at the MSI GTX 1650 4GB LP. Is this the best card in the low profile range? I've tried checking comparisons but they are mostly for the non LP version of the 1650 which I assume is more powerful. My options are strictly low profile for now since I am using a slim case. I don't plan on maxing out AAA titles. The most demanding game I have is ROTTR and I don't really need it maxed out. I mostly play Dota2 and other older games.

My system:

CPU: Pentium G4560
Motherboard: ECS H110M4-C2H
RAM: 4GB
SSD: Samsung 850 Evo
HDD: 1tb WD Blue
PSU: 350W Generic psu included with the slim case

Last edited:
Solution
If the rest of your system were up to specs, you might see a moderate performance increase, but at current, your system is seriously lacking. You'd be much better off increasing your RAM to 16GB and swapping out your Pentium processor for a true I5/I7.

As for the graphics card upgrade, I'd way until your system was in a larger case and with a better power supply so you could go with the unlimited potential of a full size card.

-Wolf sends

Wolfshadw

Titan
If the rest of your system were up to specs, you might see a moderate performance increase, but at current, your system is seriously lacking. You'd be much better off increasing your RAM to 16GB and swapping out your Pentium processor for a true I5/I7.

As for the graphics card upgrade, I'd way until your system was in a larger case and with a better power supply so you could go with the unlimited potential of a full size card.

-Wolf sends

Reactions: shadowfiend
Solution

shadowfiend

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2010

-Wolf sends
Alright! That makes a lot of sense in the long term.. Looks like I'll save up more and upgrade my cpu and and ram gradually. Thanks!

The GTX1650 is a considerable jump in graphics capability.
I doubt you can go stronger given your 300w psu.

To see if you might gain from a stronger graphics card, tun this test:
Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.

My guess... you will do just fine.

shadowfiend

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2010
The GTX1650 is a considerable jump in graphics capability.
I doubt you can go stronger given your 300w psu.

To see if you might gain from a stronger graphics card, tun this test:
Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.

My guess... you will do just fine.
Those are very helpful tips man, thanks and will try that out.