[SOLVED] Best low profile cooler for i7-12700 CPU

May 8, 2022
What's the best low profile cooler for the i7-12700 CPU?

I'm looking for something less than 138mm tall in order to fit into an HTPC case (Silverstone GD09).

Solution
Normally I'd say the BeQuiet DarkRock TF, but being top flow that'd leave just 7mm of clearance, which isn't enough to be effective. If you had top venting, that'd be my choice. Otherwise I'd have to say the Scythe Big Shirikan 3 although some like the Noctua NH-L12 or NH-L9x65

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Normally I'd say the BeQuiet DarkRock TF, but being top flow that'd leave just 7mm of clearance, which isn't enough to be effective. If you had top venting, that'd be my choice. Otherwise I'd have to say the Scythe Big Shirikan 3 although some like the Noctua NH-L12 or NH-L9x65

Solution
Consider the Noctua U9S.

It is a traditional tower cooler and not "low profile".

But it is only 125 mm tall.

Tower coolers that blow "sideways" across the motherboard typically offer lower temps than low profile coolers that blow down onto the motherboard.

You'd have to look for tests to evaluate against the competitors.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Most likely the best possible cooling capacity will be the Noctua NH-C14S, single fan central downdraft that sits 115mm tall. Unlike most low profile coolers, it has the capacity to handle a 12700 with change to spare.

But because it's a 140mm cooler, there maybe some fitment issues, always a worry with mITX/SFF builds.