Question Best mainstream ATX B650e motherboard for quiet computing - some gaming, but mostly productivity/coding, rendering, etc...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

alexb75

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2004
I am building a silent/quiet PC with Ryzen 7900. What's the best B650e motherboard right now to offer good amount of ports, good quality VRM for longterm use and CPU support, and in general which brand is best these days?

I've mostly been an Asus user, but also have had good luck with MSI and EVGA (my GPU now) but have had challenges with Gigabyte. I don't like bloatware, like a flexible stable BIOS, and most importantly a company that does upgrade drivers quickly and easily.

Last, is GOOD FAN SUPPORT, something I can easily set for 2-pin or 3-pin fans to operate at low speeds and only ramp up when needed as I am building a silent/quiet PC (re-using current case/fans/coolers).

Thanks

alexb75

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2004
Can someone please explain to me HOW, ROG Strix B650e-f, and E-E, both have SO MANY PCI-E 5.0 lanes?

E-E specifically has 2xPCI-E 5.0x16 slots, AND 2xm.2 5.0 slots which I have NEVER SEEN in anything by X760e. They also have tons of USB A/C ports too. HOW?! Does the B650e chipset allow that many lanes but no one else is using?! or they have another chipset for USB or SATA, etc... to have all these lanes!

E-E specifically has 2xPCI-E 5.0x16 slots
It has two slots, but still only 16 lanes of bandwidth so if you're using both it splits the lanes accordingly. So if you had say two video cards connected each slot would run x8.
2xm.2 5.0 slots
AMD allows for this on any system it's just most manufacturers opt to not use it. The MSI MEG X670E ACE for example uses it to provide an extra x4 PCIe slot.

alexb75

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2004
It has two slots, but still only 16 lanes of bandwidth so if you're using both it splits the lanes accordingly. So if you had say two video cards connected each slot would run x8.

AMD allows for this on any system it's just most manufacturers opt to not use it. The MSI MEG X670E ACE for example uses it to provide an extra x4 PCIe slot.

Thanks but that’s x670e with 2 chipsets.

alexb75

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2004
Just ordered the ROG Strix B650e-f. It wasn't the cheapest, nor the best features possible (x670e), and a bit worried about latest Asus issues, quality control... BUT, on whole, it seemed to be the most complete B650e board one can get, great set of ports including 20gb USB-C, PCI-E 5.0 on both m2/graphics, good audio, good components, 8-layer board, etc... price was also not too bad (paid $330 Canadian, which is like $240 USD). I basically had to either move up to x670e, or give up on some feature.

I honestly don't know of a reason for x670e, unless you need 4+ m2 slots, plus 27 USB ports! Since you can get PCI-E 5.0 on B650e, JUST for potential future upgrade, then why one needs to splurge more?!

A few things I wish it had, (1) Error code like B650E-E (2) Reset/on/off button on motherboard. These two basic options must be standard across ALL higher end boards, it's absurd it's only for the most expensive ones.

35below0

Prominent
Jan 3, 2024
I've seen complaints about Armory Crate.

Never had issues with Gigabyte's Control Center except that it likes to update BIOS too much. I unselected BIOS updates. Easy fix.
I'm not really a fan but it's not bloated and can control fans, RGB and overclocking stuff as well as driver updates.

I could install driver updates manually, but i probably wouldn't check too often.

From what i have seen, MSi's suite is more or less the same. Maybe a little bit flashier. ASUS Armory Crate on the other hand...

So yeah, you can install or skip installing the motherboard manufacturer's software suite. I'd install it and let it manage driver updates, but disable any gaming gimmicks if there are any.

Definetly don't install bundled Antivirus or other software. That is all junk.
Get software you want instead, if you need it.

Reactions: alexb75

alexb75

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2004
So, got my CPU, motherboard, SSD, Memory, and now just waiting for my Noctua AM5 adapter to arrive.

Last item, WHICH thermal paste is good? I don't care for that LAST drop in temp, BUT I want it to EASIEST to apply, and to LAST without worries for years to come. My CPU cooler is Noctual U12S.

I am kinda between Noctual NHT-1 vs. Arctic MX-4... there's also some new stuff like ProlimaTech , and Thermal Grizzly which I don't know much about.

Thanks!

If you've already got some of the Noctua from your cooler I'd say just use that. Otherwise for longevity you have what I consider 3 choices: Thermal Grizzly Kryosheet, Honeywell PTM7950 or Arctic MX-6.

The Kryosheet is a great set it, forget it and then never change it, but it is expensive and requires care when applying.

PTM7950 can be tricky to acquire, but Thermalright sells it under Helios branding. It should last a very long time, but does also require care when applying it.

MX-6 is probably worse thermally than the other two options, but it's pretty cheap, will last a long time and pulling off the cooler just means putting more on rather than buying a replacement like the other two.

alexb75

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2004
If you've already got some of the Noctua from your cooler I'd say just use that. Otherwise for longevity you have what I consider 3 choices: Thermal Grizzly Kryosheet, Honeywell PTM7950 or Arctic MX-6.

The Kryosheet is a great set it, forget it and then never change it, but it is expensive and requires care when applying.

PTM7950 can be tricky to acquire, but Thermalright sells it under Helios branding. It should last a very long time, but does also require care when applying it.

MX-6 is probably worse thermally than the other two options, but it's pretty cheap, will last a long time and pulling off the cooler just means putting more on rather than buying a replacement like the other two.

I don't, as it's an old (2014) model, I guess it must still be in the box, but 10yrs old...

I was going to buy the thermal paste guard by Noctua which comes with NTH-1 or you pay a bit more and come with NTH-2...

In terms of longevity, I thought Grizzly stuff might pump out?! Hence, ppl recommended Arctic MX-4 for longevity (Reddit)?!

Mar 29, 2024
Building a silent/quiet PC requires careful consideration of various components, including the motherboard, to ensure optimal performance without sacrificing noise levels. When it comes to selecting the best motherboard for your Ryzen 7900X CPU, you'll want to prioritize factors such as quality VRM (Voltage Regulator Module) design, ample connectivity options, reliable BIOS support, and excellent fan control capabilities.

alexb75

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2004
Building a silent/quiet PC requires careful consideration of various components, including the motherboard, to ensure optimal performance without sacrificing noise levels. When it comes to selecting the best motherboard for your Ryzen 7900X CPU, you'll want to prioritize factors such as quality VRM (Voltage Regulator Module) design, ample connectivity options, reliable BIOS support, and excellent fan control capabilities.

I’ve gone with Rog Strix B650e-f. CPU is 7900 (not 7900X). It has all the connectivity I need and I hope has enough fan controls and VRM for my needs.