News Best Memorial Day Deals: Gaming Laptops, CPUs, Monitors and More

While I understand the argument that sales after MIR should be considered, I don't think they're actually useful for saying something is on "sale" for the following reasons:
  • You still have to buy the product at full price and you usually don't get the rebate for several weeks.
  • There's a time limit in which you can apply for it
  • You have to mail something, and while I would like to believe USPS is fairly reliable, you never know.
  • Rebates now typically are preloaded debit cards, rather than crediting your payment method
  • You have to cut off the UPC code, which means you no longer can return the product. So if the MIR offer expires before the return period, you have to make decision if you want the rebate money or the opportunity to return the product no questions asked
  • There's still a chance the manufacturer won't honor it

Last edited:
I understand the argument that sales after MIR should be considered, I don't think they're actually useful for saying something is on "sale"
It's also on sale
You still have to buy the product at full price and you usually don't get the rebate for several weeks.
It's a $20 MIR... if that's a large sum of money you can't live without for a couple months, you shouldn't be buying a $250 monitor
There's a time limit in which you can apply for it
Yeah, 30 days after purchase in this case. Don't procrastinate?
You have to mail something, and while I would like to believe USPS is fairly reliable, you never know.
On USPS reliability....that's a pretty broad generalization. Seems to be grasping at straws.
Rebates now typically are preloaded debit cards, rather than crediting your payment method
Yes. It's not an instant rebate/refund. That would be a sale discount or coupon code, not a "rebate"
On this one, payment via Zelle, direct deposit, or physical check.
You have to cut off the UPC code, which means you no longer can return the product.
The obvious reason here would be to make sure people aren't buying products, getting the MIR and returning for full refund. Netting $20 in the process. If you want to preserve the ability to return it after the 30 day MIR mailing period (newegg's return policy is also 30 days), don't do the $20 MIR. Even without, $250 is a good price for this IMO. Also, the warranty still applies if the UPC is cut off the box.
There's still a chance the manufacturer won't honor it
I've only had one MIR denied and it was because I exceeded the mailing deadline. I called and they STILL honored the MIR.
The steps/instructions for a MIR aren't rocket science.

Last edited:
Ultimately I also see mail-in rebates as a predatory selling practice to get you to buy that product because you saw the price less MIR. And it seems to work in favor of the seller considering 40-60% of rebates aren't redeemed.

Also I was curious about something and looked at Ars Technica and Kinja Deals (the only two places I kind of pay attention to if I'm in a spending mood) and they don't seem to list sales with MIR.

Ultimately I also see mail-in rebates as a predatory selling practice to get you to buy that product because you saw the price less MIR.
Is it predatory if the consumer is/was too lazy to submit the MIR?
Both the sale price and the price after MIR are clearly advertised on the newegg page(s), so I'm not sure how many people they're "tricking"

And it seems to work in favor of the seller considering 40-60% of rebates aren't redeemed.
That's how MIRs are feasible. The increase in sales offsets/cancels the forfeit in MIR disbursements

Jun 16, 2022
Currently, I see that there are many websites that provide discount codes that are very convenient for users. I was told by some people that the Dazzdeals website offers a pretty good discount code. People who want to shop and use the service can go there to get a discount code.Anyone know any other good websites just let me know.