[SOLVED] Best Modem/Router Combo for 2.5Gbps (xFinity)

bloodedbythought

Prominent
May 21, 2022
Hey All, does anyone have any advice about modem/router combos? Is it better to get a high end modem and separate Wifi6 router, or will a combo do the trick?

Solution
With xfinity, it's best to use their provided modem, with whichever router, if you even need one as the xfinity routers are generally pretty decent and include wifi connectivity.

All it takes is one lightning hit to the line, which isn't uncommon, and you have a dead modem. Call Comcast, they replace it. Yours, you are SOL. Also, if there's any issues with connectivity speeds, and using their equipment, they'll replace, upgrade, do what they need to do, at no charge, remotely even. With your stuff, they'll say sorry, can't fix.

Cheap insurance.

kanewolf

Titan
Hey All, does anyone have any advice about modem/router combos? Is it better to get a high end modem and separate Wifi6 router, or will a combo do the trick?
IMO, it is always better to get a separate modem and router. You might go through 3 router upgrades with one modem.
There is also more flexibility with separate components. The modem will have to be approved by xFinity. The router has no such limitation.

Reactions: bloodedbythought

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
With xfinity, it's best to use their provided modem, with whichever router, if you even need one as the xfinity routers are generally pretty decent and include wifi connectivity.

All it takes is one lightning hit to the line, which isn't uncommon, and you have a dead modem. Call Comcast, they replace it. Yours, you are SOL. Also, if there's any issues with connectivity speeds, and using their equipment, they'll replace, upgrade, do what they need to do, at no charge, remotely even. With your stuff, they'll say sorry, can't fix.

Cheap insurance.

Solution

bloodedbythought

Prominent
May 21, 2022

Cheap insurance.
Thanks so much for this context. This is a good argument for keeping the rental. I like in Seattle and we get storms, and I can imagine this happening. I'll look into a better router. The main issue I have is the WiFi signal is kind of trash. I'm not expecting 1Gbps, but not 120-150Mbps. Any advice on good WiFi6 routers?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
I'm a little biased. I had an Asus RT-AC66U For several years that was absolutely worth every penny. Never a lick of trouble, easy to setup and got great range, even on the 5GHz band. Was getting a solid 880Mbps from a Comcast Gig modem. Had net gear, belkin, d-link before that, all wasted money, did half of what the Asus did and one was very finicky about antenna angles or the Mbps went in the trash.

I'd still be using it, except there's not currently any use for it with the modem I have now.

Reactions: bloodedbythought