best modem router with phone jack?

darkshelby

Honorable
May 1, 2012
hey guys so i have comcast and i'm basically renting their modem for $10 but i was wondering if i can just buy my own so that i don't have to pay for the rent. but the thing is that i need a phone jack for faxing and stuff, where would you guys recommend getting a modem that has a phone jack? i already have my netgear n600 router and really just need a modem that has a phone jack.

thanks

It depends how you are getting your phone service. If the current phone jacks are on the modem and you are getting the service from comcast they may not allow it. You would have to look at the web site and see if they allow you own the modem when you have phone service and which devices they support. The cable company tends to not allow this because the voice is carried over a special cable channel and they don't want people messing things up.

If you are using one of the more common voip things like vontage I would go with a completely separate VoIP gateway and plug it into what ever router you like. There are not a lot of routers with VoIP ports so it will greatly limit your choice.