Best Monitor for RTS gaming and Movie Watching

Rottingman

Reputable
Aug 7, 2015
Hello all. Getting back into rts gaming and plan on purchasing a dell xps 8700 with the gtx 745 4gb upgrade. Because I really on play dawn of war 1&2 and Starcraft2 I feel this machine will be more then enough for my needs. My question to you folks out there is what kind of monitor should I be looking at for rts gaming and bluray watching? After doing a bit of research the model I came up with is this

AOC i2367Fh

The other monitor I am considering is this

I know the AOC and Acer ultra high refresh rate monitors have been getting reviewed pretty favorably but I feel as though I would be better off with a high quality ips monitor in regards to my needs.. Would love some suggestions and alternative monitors to consider!

Thanks gang!

lightxbulb

Reputable
Oct 25, 2014
First of all is there a specific reason you're getting a dell xps 8700 and a gtx 745? Usually you can build a better system for the money(amzon price at least).
From what I see you're willing to spend around 150$ on a monitor - correct me if I am wrong. Assuming 150$ is the limit here's another monitor I found, and this one is flicker safe:
LG 23MP75HM-P

Rottingman

Reputable
Aug 7, 2015
The dell xps 8700 i'm getting seems like a pretty good deal for the price. Comes with the gtx745 an i7 processor and will end up costing me under 800. Even less if i'm able to get additional discounts. I've had some headaches with system builds in the past that a couple friends of mine helped me configure. Extremely busy with work atm and just want something decent I can use out of the box with no trouble. If you know of any other good quality prebuilds I should be looking at in the same price range please don't hesitate to suggest them.

No I can probably go higher then 150 for the monitor but that Aoc one seems to get really good reviews overall for an ips monitor. Assuming my budget is about 250-300 what other ips ones would you suggest?

lightxbulb

Reputable
Oct 25, 2014
The ultrasharp dell series have one of the best colors as a whole imo - if you can afford it - go for it (plus it's flicker-free if you have issues with PWM). The only thing that may not be as desirable is the 8ms response time, but I guess it matters mostly if you play fps. Here's a good review if you want to check some of the details: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u2414h.htm
The xps 8700 is not bad per say, but the i7-4790 doesn't make much sense when you'll have a discrete video card - you'll get pretty much the same performance with a xeon e3-1231v3 which is around 50$ cheaper (and you could get a better video card while keeping the system in the same price range - I prefer to pick the components myself to be honest - usually the system is cheaper and I can customize whatever I feel like). But if you want to save yourself the trouble of building the system, then by all means get a pre-built system.