[SOLVED] Best monitor setup for 1070?

May 19, 2020
Im about to build a pc with a 3700x processor, graphics card 1660 super or 1070 second hand. Im confused with what monitor to go for? I have been looking at 144hz 1440p however what happens if I dont reach 144fps in games? I have also heard that if you switch to 1080p while on 1440p it looks awful due to downscaling, any reccomendations?

Solution
Im about to build a pc with a 3700x processor, graphics card 1660 super or 1070 second hand. Im confused with what monitor to go for? I have been looking at 144hz 1440p however what happens if I dont reach 144fps in games? I have also heard that if you switch to 1080p while on 1440p it looks awful due to downscaling, any reccomendations?

I would go with a 1440, and if the 1070 is a good deal I would buy it over the 1660 Super since the 1070 will be alittle bit stronger. As far as not hitting 144 frame rate its not a huge deal if the monitor has Freesync or Gsync. I have a Viotek VA Panel GN24CB (its a budget monitor but I like it) that has Freesync which I used a 1070 and unless it dipped below 50FPS (that's the monitors...

I would go with a 1440, and if the 1070 is a good deal I would buy it over the 1660 Super since the 1070 will be alittle bit stronger. As far as not hitting 144 frame rate its not a huge deal if the monitor has Freesync or Gsync. I have a Viotek VA Panel GN24CB (its a budget monitor but I like it) that has Freesync which I used a 1070 and unless it dipped below 50FPS (that's the monitors Freesync range) in games there wasn't any tearing, stuttering, etc associated with low frame rate.

Solution
May 19, 2020
I would go with a 1440, and if the 1070 is a good deal I would buy it over the 1660 Super since the 1070 will be alittle bit stronger. As far as not hitting 144 frame rate its not a huge deal if the monitor has Freesync or Gsync. I have a Viotek VA Panel GN24CB (its a budget monitor but I like it) that has Freesync which I used a 1070 and unless it dipped below 50FPS (that's the monitors Freesync range) in games there wasn't any tearing, stuttering, etc associated with low frame rate.
Would it not need to have g sync as the card is nvidia?

Would it not need to have g sync as the card is nvidia?

No. Nvidia cards will work with Freesync and AMD cards work with Gsync. For Nvidia to enable it you first make sure the Freesync is turned on in the monitor itself via the on screen display then in the Nvidia control panel you enable adaptive sync

Long story but basically NVIDIA sorta lost the battle due to there high licensing cost to monitor manufactures where as AMD made their technology royalty free.

There can be some issues with some monitors, such as back light flickering (which my 1070 did have in some games but driver updates eventually fixed it) but those have largely gone away.

May 19, 2020
No. Nvidia cards will work with Freesync and AMD cards work with Gsync. For Nvidia to enable it you first make sure the Freesync is turned on in the monitor itself via the on screen display then in the Nvidia control panel you enable adaptive sync

Long story but basically NVIDIA sorta lost the battle due to there high licensing cost to monitor manufactures where as AMD made their technology royalty free.

There can be some issues with some monitors, such as back light flickering (which my 1070 did have in some games but driver updates eventually fixed it) but those have largely gone away.
So if im not hitting 144fps will this affect my experince in a bad way or will it still be better than 1080p 144hz. My question is 144hz only beneficial if youre hitting 144fps?

So if im not hitting 144fps will this affect my experince in a bad way or will it still be better than 1080p 144hz. My question is 144hz only beneficial if youre hitting 144fps?

Depends on what kind of games you play, if y play lots of fast paces competitive games then it might be better for you to get a 144 or even 240hz 1080P monitor.

If you care more about quality or play slower paced games that high framrate doesnt matter then I would def say go for 1440P 144.

With regards to just refresh rate, I would recommend 144hz, even if your computer isnt capable of hitting 144 frames to match the refresh rate just using the higher refresh rate for browsing the web, typing and general computer works makes for a smoother experience.

May 19, 2020
Depends on what kind of games you play, if y play lots of fast paces competitive games then it might be better for you to get a 144 or even 240hz 1080P monitor.

If you care more about quality or play slower paced games that high framrate doesnt matter then I would def say go for 1440P 144.

With regards to just refresh rate, I would recommend 144hz, even if your computer isnt capable of hitting 144 frames to match the refresh rate just using the higher refresh rate for browsing the web, typing and general computer works makes for a smoother experience.
Sounds like 1440p 144hz is the best option, any reccomendations for one? There is a benq one with built in speakers which looks decent

Sounds like 1440p 144hz is the best option, any reccomendations for one? There is a benq one with built in speakers which looks decent

There's so many in so many different price ranges I wouldn't know where to begin. I will say though that built in speakers are generally terrible and shouldn't be a main point for purchasing.

There are some youtube buying guides such as this so search around on there.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFZ5ofmZt58