Best motherboard for this build

hshah

Honorable
Feb 1, 2013
Hello,
I need some help with my first build, I was wondering what the best motherboard for this specific build would be, I am currently thinking about the Asus Sabertooth Z77, would that be a good option or is it not worth it, if it isn' t PLEASE PLEASE narrow my options down. Also i was wondering if i should get a heat sink or liquid cooling, if so which one Thanks in Advance and my specs are listed down below.

Case – Fractal Design Define R4, Black Pearl

Power Supply – Corsair AX750W PSU - $149.99
Processor – Intel Core i7 3770K 3.4Ghz Quad core

Heat sink – Cooler Master Hype 212 Plus
Memory (RAM) – 8GB 1866Mhz Corsair Vengeance (2x4)

Hard Drive – 1TB Caviar Black Western Digital HDD @ 7200 RPM

Solid State Drive – Samsung 840 Series 128 GB

Video Card – MSI GTX 660 Ti

Thanks again!

Solution
The sabertooth while it is a good board is pricey while only offering tri sli/cf which few need and a few extra IO options that can be had for cheaper

Unless you are running multiple OS's at the same time (virual PC) the i7 is not needed
And if you are , I would get the Xeon 1240v2 since it is clocked the same as the i7 3770 but with more extra hardware features and 2mb more cache also cheaper than the 3770

The 1230vs is 100mhz slower but is also $30 cheaper

The 1240v2 and the 1230v2 can overclock using the turbo multiplier to 4.2 and 4.1ghz respectively

g-unit1111

Titan
What's the build going to be used for? If it's gaming then drop the 3770K to the 3570K and invest the money in upgrading your GPU to a GTX 670. You also don't need to pay that much for RAM.

Liquid cooling isn't really necessary other than for extreme overclocking and stay away from closed loops like the H100i.

hshah

Honorable
Feb 1, 2013

so would you reccomend 650W instead?

bakertylerea

Honorable
Jan 27, 2013
I agree with everybody here. Go with the 3570K and I would suggest that you get the Asus P8Z77-V PRO ATX LGA1155 Motherboard. Will be more than enough at a reasonable price and has SLI capabilities if you need it in the future. I also agree that you should get a 650w PSU, anything else is overkill for your build. Good luck!!!

hshah

Honorable
Feb 1, 2013
I plan to run multiple montiors and soon when i get the money getting a second graphics card, also i will be running multiple operating systems, do you still think i will not need the i7 3770k? also what is wrong with the sabertooth z77? just want to get the right parts thx
also my monitors will me two or three ASUS MX239H's
Thanks'

The sabertooth while it is a good board is pricey while only offering tri sli/cf which few need and a few extra IO options that can be had for cheaper

Unless you are running multiple OS's at the same time (virual PC) the i7 is not needed
And if you are , I would get the Xeon 1240v2 since it is clocked the same as the i7 3770 but with more extra hardware features and 2mb more cache also cheaper than the 3770

The 1230vs is 100mhz slower but is also $30 cheaper

The 1240v2 and the 1230v2 can overclock using the turbo multiplier to 4.2 and 4.1ghz respectively

Solution

g-unit1111

Titan

Why? There's no reason to get a Xeon for this build. I wouldn't purchase the Sabertooth because the thermal armor traps more heat than it prevents, and the only thing Asus has come up with is to include two really cheap 80mm fans to offset the air flow.

Well I asked the OP if he was planning to run multiple virtual machines and he hasn't replied yet (his previous post seemed to imply he was going to though, so not just for gaming)
3570k lacks some virtualization support

The OP had suggested he wanted to go with i7's and I suggested Xeon's as a great alternative that is cheaper if the Hyper-Threading and Virtualiztion support is needed