Question Best new CPU and MB for video editing? That is power eficient

Perene

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2014
I own the i5 11400 from Intel, and MSI Z590A-Pro. Also 32 GB of RAM, DDR-4 Corsair Vengeance (two 16 GB each). It looks like this CPU uses 65W. I was wondering what would be the best AMD CPU nowadays, that is not twice or more wasting energy, and best suited for video editing, on a budget, that is also superior to my current setup, not equal or worse.

Lutfij

Titan
Ryzen 7600(or 7500F)+B650 motherboard+DDR5-6000MHz(that has AMD's E.X.P.O advertised on the package or the site) dual channel ram kit with tight latencies would be a good place to start. You mentioned video editing, there are a number of apps that facilitate that, which apps do you use or intend to tax the suggested platform with?

... It looks like this CPU uses 65W. ...
This is a 65W TDP processor. TDP does not refer to the processor's power consumption but to the heat it puts out. While it is a relative indication of it's electrical power consumption it's intended purpose is to inform a system builder about heat sink selection.

65W TDP is actually pretty low rating for a desktop processor. They're pretty much the lowest power consumption without going into the mobile processors that are packaged for desktops and have very limited usefulness for video editing.

In general, if you want the most powerful processors that are very energy efficient then AMD's new generation Ryzen 9000 series processors are a probably the best choice. Reviews aren't showing them to be exceptionally more performant than the 7000 series but they are significantly more energy efficient while doing it, and the 7000 series were already more efficient than Intel's comparable offerings. In the same 65W TDP rating you can get a Ryzen 9700X (when it's available) which is 8 core/16 threads, max boost 5.5Ghz, vs. the 6 core/12 thread, max boost 4.4Ghz, CPU you currently run.

If you want more processing performance than that you'll have to step up to a 105W TDP 9900X, 12 core/24 threads.

The processors and the 7000 series predecessors will run on an AM5 motherboard using DDR5 memory.

Last edited: