best new laptop

G

I need a new laptop, im gonna spend 4000 dlls or little more, any good recopmmendations???
i want the best 1

ZaNtHeR

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2001
Internet price starting at$2,249*
The all-in-one notebook for the enterprise

The Armada E500 achieves the optimum balance between performance and value for convenience users. Features like AGP 2X graphics, up to 850 MHz Intel® Mobile Pentium® III processors with Intel® SpeedStepTM technology or up to 550 MHz Intel® CeleronTM, and large hard drives provide superior performance. Additional features such as an integrated all-in-one design, 3-spindle support with MultiBay and DualBay, and Common Docking provide unbeatable flexibility and convenience. These features combined with an affordable price make this the ideal primary productivity tool for everyday business use.

Here are some of the Armada E500 Family's great features:

Processors up to 550 MHz Intel® CeleronTM, or up to 850MHz Intel® Mobile Pentium® III with SpeedStepTM technology
15" SXGA (1400 x 1050) 15" CTFT
(1024 x 768), 14.1" CTFT (1024 x 768), or 13.3" CTFT (1024x768) displays
AGP 2X graphics with 8 MB SDRAM
64 MB SDRAM standard, expandable to 512 MB
Up to 20 GB SMART hard drive standard
New slim design at 1.6" and weight starting at 5.7 lbs.
MultiBay support for standard 24X CD-ROM, 8X DVD-ROM, CD-RW, optional SuperDisk 2X LS-120, second battery, second hard drive, diskette drive or weight saver
DualBay support for standard 1.44 MB diskette drive, optional battery or weight saver
Full choice of Operating systems: Windows 98 or Windows 2000/Windows NT Workstation 4.0 (Dual Install**) (model dependent)
Integrated Mini-PCI 56K V.90 modem or Mini-PCI 56K V.90 modem + 10/100 NIC combo (certain models), modem models upgradeable to 56K V.90 modem + 10/100 NIC combo
Common Docking Support: ArmadaStation EM, Armada Convenience Base EM, Armada Port Replicator EM
1-year worldwide limited warranty, extendable up to 3-years
Compaq recommends Windows 2000 Professional for business.

* $2,249 is the Internet starting price for the Armada E500 part number 179849-001.

** End-user must make a one-time selection between Windows 2000 and Windows NT 4.0. If end-user desires rejected product(s) after selection is made, end-user must acquire and purchase rejected product(s) separately.

All-in-one fully integrated design with full enterprise expandability

The Armada E500 offers one of the most expandable and integrated designs in a performance notebook, yet is still as light as some less functioning notebooks - starting at 5.7lbs. The E500 offers a fully integrated design with an integrated MultiBay and DualBay. The MultiBay supports a DVD-ROM, CD-ROM, CD-RW, Superdisk 2X LS-120, extra hard drive, or extra battery for superior expandability, while the DualBay supports a floppy or extra battery. The E500 also offers unique features such as integrated Mini-PCI modem and Ethernet jacks for connectivity and a full set of docking solutions for full desktop expansion.

3-spindle design with (integrated MultiBay and DualBay)
Integrated Mini-PCI communications (modem or modem/NIC combo)
Full enterprise docking solutions
DualBay and MultiBay options providing superior expandability
Support for 3 integrated batteries providing extreme battery performance
Light in its class starting at 5.7lbs. and 1.6" in thickness
Interoperability with other enterprise products - MultiBay common with iPAQ
High-end performance features for the mainstream user
The Armada E500 packs a powerful punch with serious mainstream performance. The E500 has the highest in processor power, up to 700 MHz Pentium® III with Intel® SpeedStep™ technology, large hard drives, and brilliant 15" TFT panels. In addition, the E500 provides superior graphics performance with AGP 2X and 8 MB SDRAM. And for those that need serious battery performance, the E500 can support up to 3 batteries for over 9 hours of battery life.

Up to 550 MHz Intel® CeleronTM or up to 850 MHz Intel® Mobile Pentium® III processors
Up to 15" TFT panels and AGP 2X graphics with 8MB SDRAM
Extreme battery performance
Up to 20 GB hard drives
High-quality durable design
The Armada E500 includes a number of features to ensure that it's as durable as its performance. First, a mylar lining under the keyboard helps provide greater protection from accidental spills. Second, a shock-mounted hard drive enclosure provides added hard drive stability.

Mylar lining under keyboard for spill protection
Shock-mounted hard drive for stability
Low total cost of ownership
The Armada E500 provides one of the lowest cost to own notebooks for the enterprise. Docking solutions and MultiBay options are fully compatible throughout the entire Armada lineup* providing a lower cost of ownership for customers deploying multiple notebooks in their environment. In addition, our set of tools and services called PC Lifecycle Solutions help customers lower the cost of managing their notebooks throughout the lifecycle. Finally, the E500's unique durable design to helps lessen the cost of support.

Common docking and options across entire Armada line
Intelligent Manageability and PC Lifecycle Solutions
Durable design to help lessen support costs
*Armada V300 only supported by the Port Replicator EM

Depends on what you will using it for but I personally like this machine...

ZaNtHeR

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2001
Presario 1800 Series
Intel® Pentium® III Processor - 850MHz w/ Intel® SpeedStep ™ technology
320 MB 100MHz SyncDRAM
32.0 GB (5400 RPM) UDMA Hard Drive
6X DVD/CD-RW (4x/4x/24x) Combo Drive-NEW!
15.0" UXGA TFT Active Matrix
FREE TurboTax Software
Microsoft Featured Home Collection w/ Word
56K ITU V.90 Modem PCI
ATI Rage™ Mobility 128 hardware accelerated 3D Graphics with 16MB Video Memory
3.5" 1.44 MB diskette drive
AC Adapter Included
Ultra High-Capacity LiIon Battery
JBL Pro Audio System with Bass Reflex
Integrated 10/100 BaseT Ethernet Port
Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional
1yr Parts / 1 yr labor/1yr mail-in/ 1yr carry-in
Additional 3.6 A/h Ultra High-Capactiy LiIon Battery - Save $30
Presario 1800T/1800XL QuikDock

$3,697.00 $3,697.00

Subtotal: $3,697.00

This is more for personal use! but a very nice machine!!!

G

but is compaq the best brand???
it thought that Dell was the best

msbendts

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2001
The top laptop makers are as follows:
o IBM
o Compaq
o Toshiba, Nec & HP

Now, you'll notice that Dell is not on this list...and it is all in how you set your requirements. The above list is for **global** delievery, support, and availability. It also leans heavily to the requirements of global corporations (can Corporation XYZ have a single global SKU which defines a product that any of my global offices can get from any global distribution center?). IBM & Compaq have great global product lines, great global service centers, and great global availability. The IBM (corporate level) laptop products tend to be about 5% more expensive in purchasing, but ~40% less expensive to support, and have a 1+ life expectancy over the Compaqs (4-years vs. 2 1/2 to 3 years). That is why IBM is the global leader in notebooks on the market, while Compaq is #2. Toshiba, NEC, and HP make great products, but their global prowness is limited. If Dell would expand their global network operations they would give Compaq a serious run for their money...

Taking in the full local picture....product features, cost, support, reliability, and usage-life (how before the product needs to be replaced) for a consumer level, the list changes:
o Dell
o Compaq
o Apple
o IBM
o Toshiba, NEC, & HP
o Sony

The consumer market is a different ballgame...you are focused on localized product, support, and availability. This brings Dell, Apple, & Sony into the product mix and makes the field tougher to choose from.

Dell, Compaq, & IBM are all very similiar in their support services. They all have a strong infrastructure for both online and in-person support options, including on-site repairs. (Anyone who has used IBM's EasyServe process knows that it lives up to the name.) Drivers for many operating systems are supported (Win9x, WinNT, Win2K, Linux, etc.), and they are supported well beyond when the product is discontinued (3+ years)...which is a key when making a decision since you'll want to know how long you have before you are forced to replace the laptop. (I'd much rather be forced to replace my laptop because I'm annoyed with its low performance then because my OS is no longer supported!)

Reliability is an issue...and the Dell's and IBM's come out on top there. Compaq makes an awesome server line, and a really good desktop product, but their laptops, well, IMHO, suck. There has been too many hardware issues with the Compaq line over the past several years...which explains why they are 40% more expensive to support than the IBM products.

The Toshiba, HP, NEC, and Sony products are nice, but seems to be a hit-or-miss with a particular product line. The Toshiba's have a great screen, but (tend to) have a really weird keyboard layout. HP & Sony tend to try different ideas for packaging (pushing the ultra-light envelope) but it ends up being a personal preference for this line. NEC is like the Buick car line...consistently average with not much radical designs to upset their followers.

Finally, the Apple products. Awesome products if you are a Mac OS user/fan. If you are looking for a personal machine, these are well worth the look. Great reliability and not a bad price for the performance. Initial reaction by people is that "my applications are not available for the Max"...but think about it, what do you use personally? documents & spreadsheets (Microsoft Office 10 for the Mac), email (Eudora for the Mac), internet (IE for the Mac), tax & finances (Intuit Quicken & TurboTax for the Mac), image and graphics (complete Adobe suite for the Mac). Three things stop the Apple product from being considered: 1) having to connect to a company network, 2) not familiar with the Mac OS so scared to step away from the comforts of the Microsoft OS, and 3) must actually purchase software instead of "leveraging" from various sources.

Boiling it all down, I would consider the following:
1) Dell
2) IBM
3) Apple

Dell is probably the less expensive, Apple is probably the quickest, and IBM will probably have the longest life.

Me? I purchased an IBM ThinkPad 4-years ago, and it is still kicking strong. It is has more hardware features than my friend's brand new Sony Vaio, it is behaving better (more stable & amazingly even quicker when my 233Mhz Pentium MMX is faster than his 500MHz Celeron) than his Sony, and I have not had any support problems with IBM. Four years ago, IBM had the best mix of hardware, but the price sucked...but I figured that if I am going to use it everyday, it was worth paying for a screen that was easy on the eyes, a keyboard that was enjoyable to use, and reliability that I need to have. I have never regretted the investment, and will seriously consider an IBM again. (Though I'll give the Dell's a major look when the time comes...)

That is my pocket change...

Mike

G

it depends very much on what you gonna need it for.
you don't sound like a corporate user (otherwise your company would buy it for you i suppose) so forget the crap about global support and cost of ownership that you can read about above.
I use notebooks now for more than 4 years. I travel around quite a bit with them so my priority lies in weight and build quality.
if you hardly run around with it I recommend a "desktop replacement" with all the stuff inside you can get like the presario someone mentioned above.
if you travel with it than I suppose you should go for something very light possible with external CD/DVD drive. depends what software you're running but I don't need my CD drive very often so the weight saving would benefit me.
if you travel a lot built quality is even more important.
in the moment I have a Compaq Armada M700. I'm quite happy with it. it is quite sturdy build especially the metal-lid that protects the display.
I had so far an Acer 350e, Asus P6300, AJP 3420, Compaq M700.
the Acer is still with me. looks almost as good as when I bought it 4.5 years ago (a bit slow though for todays standard). the P6300's screen developed some dead lines (not pixels, vertical lines!) after just one year. the AJP3420's screen case fell apart after 4 month (luckily still under warranty). the M700 is only 4 month old yet. but feels like it will stay some time with me.
I don't know if Acer is still manufacturing to the same standard but I think they're worth a look.

respect!

G

With all due respect the preceding distinction regarding global support was really valuable to me and perhaps others who travel globally. If, like me, you spend 50% or more of your time outside your home country - I think we are talking USA as the home country in this context - then easily accessable global support becomes very important indeed. First you are better off if it doesn't break at all - overall reliability is important. Second, knowing that the machine is supported nearly anywhere reasonably developed is a very big plus. If my current Chembook bought in the US breaks here in Australia, maybe just maybe, I can sweet talk a Taiwanese computer wholesaler friend here to find a way to fix it. If it is an IBM the service is available. So thanks to the above post that went out of its way to emphasize the 'global perspective'. It was a real eye opener to me. Interestingly, Dell is here in Australia but I know they try to prevent overseas buyers from buying thier products in the US - I suppose to protect thier foreign operations. I am going to contact Dell here in Australia to see if they would service a Dell bought in America that broke down while on a business trip to Australia. Otherwise I will consider replacing my notebook the next time I go to the US with an IBM.

Sometimes, things reverse in the third world and you are better, not worse off. On my last trip to Africa an over reved generator was producing about 400 volts in my hotel room. Unaware of the high voltage, I plugged in my notebook power supply and it fried. I determined a new one would cost about $85 plus about the same again to DHL to me in Africa. I took the burnt out power supply to an electronic repair shop in Zimbabwe and they took it apart and fixed it for US$25. I think I was lucky but often there are people who will fix things in the third world that first world techs wont touch or are just too expensive to fix.

If you are spending nearly all you time within your home country then I think you have a lot more choices. My Chembook has served me well, but probably is a bietter bet within the US than knocking around the world. Thanks to this forum, I'll be thinking differently about my next notebook...

L Gude

Osiris

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2001
whatever it is, do not buy a HP Omnibook 6000. it sucks! the stupid thing generates enough heat to fry an egg and the cooling measures is a suspect. the keyboard is hot to touch after about half hour to one hour of usage. only to be used in an air-conditioned room or with the fan blowing directly at the keyboard. it regularly hangs or freezes, especially when you are playing DVDs. for that reason, a good old safety pin is a necessary equipment to do a system shut down. the trackpoint device usually has a mind of its own and wanders off to somewhere other than where you put it. the build quality is not good as well. the plastic looks and feels flimsy. the modular bay for the DVD/floppy warps when it is hot, creating a funny sound when the disk spins.

personally, i think an IBM Thinkpad is a good investment. it hardly suffers anything as described above. it also looks and feels more solid. i would recommend a fujitsu lifebook too. it is slim and comes with a decent assortment of devices. looks good too.

msbendts

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2001
I'm glad that my comments were of some value to you...asking the generic question of "best new laptop" will offer up a zillion opinions. And, really, the "best" laptop is a personal decision...a balanace if you will...between all the fighting factors. Depending upon your personal requirements will drive your personal decision.

What I hate is someone making an uninformed decision, especially when they are making an investment. My post on the top laptops was for those who realize that cost isn't the driving factor....otherwise they would be at the local discount store buying the cheapest thing they can find. No, my comments were for those who realize that support and reliabilty play a more important factor in the decision process than price. I'm the type who tends to purchase the higher quality product.

My philosophy...why fight the cheap product when I can really enjoy the quality product?

I would like to add a comment to the globalization thought...modems. Those that travel globally know that having a modem which is certified to work where you are going is very, very important. Most local (USA) travelers do not realize that modems need to be tested and certified by that country in order to be used in that country. This isn't as big of a deal as it was 5-years ago, but it is still a concern to be aware of.

If you plan on any global travel, then something that should be very high on your priority list is this...Is that built-in modem certified to where you will be travleing to? Or will you be required to purchase a global PCCard modem and then try to fight the operating system into making sure the on-board modem is disabled? 3Com makes great PCCard modems that work globally (again...higher priced, but it *works*), but isn't it better to make sure your laptop's modem is right first?

Don't purchase technology that is going to fight against you, it is suppose to be a tool that makes your life easier!!

Having to always find ways to make your cheap piece of plastic work for you (disable on-board modem, purchase global certified PCCard modem) just isn't smart.

I laugh everytime I see someone spend 40-minutes just getting their machine prepared to dial-in. Isn't your time more valuable than that?

Mike

ZaNtHeR

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2001
<font color=blue>Very well put Mike! I agree people make uniformed buying decisions often when purchasing a computer. I would rather spend a little more and buy a quality product after reading up on it first. You know the funny thing is people are too easy sometimes they have a little money and just can't wait to spend it. What I mean by that is they will put forth the extra effort when buying fruit or vegetables, but when it comes to buying a computer, they will let a salesman talk them into buying anything. All I am saying is people should read up about the computer before going to the store or wherever to purchase a computer. ASK QUESTIONS!! THAT IS WHAT FORUMS LIKE THIS ARE FOR!!!! But other people, that have way too much time, like to bash here. Well, I am sure you can figure out what kind of people they are from reading their posts.</font color=blue>

Perception is Reality!!!

G

I guess I've been lucky on modems..none of my notebooks have had a built in and I've used PCMCIA card modems with good luck. I appreciate the warning though..I don't want to spend one minute disabling a modem that doesn't work or gets fried and needs to be replaced. I used A 3COM and a generic I carry as a back up. I am aware of the certification issue, but have never run into any place my modem didn't work. I also know there are severe penalties on the books some places for using non-certified modems, but I don't think enforcement is much practiced. Still I wouldn't reccommed doing it officially. Here in Australia the rationale for certification was that a non certifed modem could endanger the lives of telephone workers because it might allow mains voltage onto the phone lines. I don't think they are pushing that one anymore. Used notebook busineses are quite happy to take US modems in trade I notice. I also notice that in Africa where I travel that US model PCMCIA modems are regularly sold so I think certification may be becomming less of an issue. In Europe the story may be quite different given our EU cousins love regulation. I really like your philosophy of why fight a cheap product when you can enjoy a quality one...

L Gude

G

I pray that I have caught you before you made the terrible mistake of Buying a Compaq!!!! If you want the best laptop, and I hope you have not already bought one, then you want a Toshiba Laptop. Buy it with Windows 2000 on it, and atleast 256 MB of RAM. RAM = GOOD. You can very easily spend the $4k, but if you wan the best, buy a Toshiba!!!! Visit Toshiba at WWW.Toshiba.com

HandOfDragon

Distinguished
May 31, 2001
Only my 2cents here. Stay away from Sony. As far as my memory serve me correctly, Sony is the worst in customer service. I experienced it again and again when my friend laptop need to be fixed even in the warranty. It take them 2 weeks just to replace a hinge between LCD and laptop body.

Other brands are not bad but when it come to customer service, they are almost the same (except Sony which is my nightmare for sometime). I would say that Compaq customer service is fine. You may find yourself talking to technician quite a long time but Compaq fix my laptop and return it in average 3-4 days (from the day I send it in). And it send you a overnight delivery box and ship the laptop back to me with overnight delivery too. It's really fast but annoying that their technician is kinda suck sometime (depend on your luck too when you call in).

IBM laptop is one of the best quality I've used so far but it will cost you more than other brand. I never use other brands so I cannnot tell you explicitly from my experiences =) Here is the list start from the best that I would love to get in the $4000 budgets. Please keep in mind, this is only my preferences =)

1. Compaq Armada M700 (thin + very good quality + fast laptop fixing)
2. IBM T21 (again thin + excellent quality + look good too)
3. IBM i series (pretty thin + cheap + good quality)
4. Toshiba Satellite 2805-S402 (best graphic card on laptop all around (actually, Dell top model is bit better but also larger) + good quality)

Bottom line, if you travel a lot (I do), you will find that the thinner the laptop, the lighter the laptop, the more you will love it. Also make sure that you get at least two-spindle system (i.e., 1 hard drive + 1 optical drive in the system) since you will find it annoying having to tag along the extra external drive and get at least 8MB VRAM. I'm not sure if IBM i series have 8MB VRAM model or not. If not then forgive me and stay awya from it. Go with M700 or T21 instead =) GL