[SOLVED] Best new Mobo for i9 10900K?

airjocky2

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2008
Looking for advice on which mobo to go with for a new build. It seems like USB-C is going to be all the rage so I'm looking at a case that has a port or two of those on the front. With all the mobo options out there what's the go to right now for a high end gaming PC?
Thoughts?

Solution
Figure out what you want out of it and how much you are realistically willing to spend.
  • Overclocking
  • Expansion slots
  • Higher end audio
  • RGB connectors
  • Number of USB ports A and C
  • Front panel USB C
  • Thunderbolt (very premium add on)
  • M.2 slots
  • Form Factor (ATX, mATX, mini ITX)
  • Brand preference

Otherwise all someone can list is a generically good motherboard. Which probably has a bunch of crap you don't care about or doesn't do what you want.

By the way. For the most part. Those $400 consumer boards are usually a bunch of unnecessary fluff. Usually really high quality is within the $200 to $300 range. Although there are plenty of good ones below that price.

At any rate. Choose all you want to go with...
Figure out what you want out of it and how much you are realistically willing to spend.
  • Overclocking
  • Expansion slots
  • Higher end audio
  • RGB connectors
  • Number of USB ports A and C
  • Front panel USB C
  • Thunderbolt (very premium add on)
  • M.2 slots
  • Form Factor (ATX, mATX, mini ITX)
  • Brand preference

Otherwise all someone can list is a generically good motherboard. Which probably has a bunch of crap you don't care about or doesn't do what you want.

By the way. For the most part. Those $400 consumer boards are usually a bunch of unnecessary fluff. Usually really high quality is within the $200 to $300 range. Although there are plenty of good ones below that price.

At any rate. Choose all you want to go with it. Like the case, fans, storage, memory, CPU, cooling, lighting, premium audio cards, &c. Then it's easier to choose a motherboard which fits the bill.

Solution
Probably you dont want to spend 300+$ on a new mobo that wont much future proof, intel is know to change sockets all the time.
Try to wait for the review on the Z590 mobos, the steel legend has the Type C front header and usually it's reasonably priced.
But again, wait for reviews.

airjocky2

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2008
I ended up getting an ASUS ROG STRIX Z-590E at microcenter yesterday. It was an impulse purchase. Should I keep it and use it? It seems like it’s should be pretty good. I’ve been out of the computer building game for a while so I don’t really know what I’m doing anymore. I’m just trying to build a good fast new modern gaming/DCS computer and don’t want to get ripped off buying a pre-built computer with poor components in it.