Best operating system for a gaming PC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

coppy45

Honorable
Nov 12, 2012
Hello, a website i'm using to (potentially) buy a gaming PC offers a choice of three operating systems:
-Windows 7 home premium 64-bit
-Windows 8 64-bit
-Windows XP home service pack 3 32-bit
Now, I understand that windows 7 is a good, sound operating system, and so it might be best to stick to what I know. Windows 8 may be worth a try, but it seems far too changed a version of windows (why fix what was already working perfectly, I understand change is needed but start menu and taskbar worked brilliantly), and it may have compatibility issues. Windows XP, I remember not very well, from my childhood. However, what I remember, I remember fondly (though it may just be rose tinted goggles :??: )
Please could someone give me advice as to the best OS for a gaming system?

majestic1805

Honorable
Oct 1, 2012
Better yet, why not 8? It has power reduction and performance enhancements 7 doesn't have. Both of these are critical to gaming rigs. Also, it can run all of 7's software.

Hi :)

Because 8 is still on a lot of beta drivers and some games have problems in it...

All the best Brett :)

majestic1805

Honorable
Oct 1, 2012
I just built a new machine with 8 and have had zero issues with it driver-wise. If you're talking about old games then I wouldn't consider that a huge deal. Older software drops off as new OS's come out. That's always how it's been.

Games are not software (not in a gamers mind anyway lol)

If a gamer put 8 on a machine and it didn't play, he would be furious... and rightly so...and that's happening... so 7 Pro...

Alex The PC Gamer

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2007

The PRO version will be a little better around Feb-March as it gets ready to be officially released for the tablets(the X64 or X86 versions). I also expect 3rd party to get on board with their proper drivers around that time (Q2-2013). That said, gaming on Win8 today is sort'of a gamble with all the BETAs out there.

So...buy Win7 for what I think will be the norm for the next 2-3 years or buy Win8Pro and get the OS that'll be the norm on Tablets, Laptops, PCs and so on for the next 5-7 years.

...unless you guys believe that Win8 will be the off child (like it's two brothers - > Windows ME and Windows Vista).

Not to change the subject but honestly, at this point, I'm waiting to see what will be up with STEAM as most of my games are on THAT platform ATM...and we all know how Valve feels about WIN8.

Personally i suspect 8 will last a little longer than ME (1 year) and a little less than Vista... IMHO...

COMPUTER FURY

Honorable
Feb 26, 2013
HI BRETT
I AM COMPUTERFURY
A TECH FORUMS EMPLOYEE

I WOULD SUGGEST YOU TO GO FOR WIN 8 IF YOU ARE WILLING
TO PLAY NEW MODERN GAMES.

BUT IF YOU WANT TO PLAY OLD CLASSICS YOU MUST CHOOSE WIN7

ALSO IF YOU CHOOSE WIN7 YOU MUST CHOOSE LOWER ONE LIKE HOME
BASIC TO MAKE SURE YOUR LAPTOP WORKS AT GOOD PACE.

IF YOU CHOOSE WIN8 IMUST WARN YOU, NOT ALL NEW AND OLD GAMES WORK

THANK YOU

By Computer fury.

you sir are in the wrong job as you obviously know very little about what o.s is what. while in theory you are correct in your assumption that new games should work best on a new o.s you couldn't be further off the mark in reality.
as for your assertion that to play classics you need windows 7, thats just laughable. games aren't considered classic until they reach a certain maturity, windows 7 hasnt reached that maturity yet so how can the games that were designed to run on it be classics.
if you had of said xp 32bit then maybe yes. but windows 7?

i think you have been drinking the microsoft cool aid...

oh and spouting about being a tech forum employee means nothing to us. there are 15 year olds that know more than most of the adults that inhabit this site. i have 32 years of gaming under my belt but it doesnt mean i cant learn something form the kids every now and again. but you saying "im a tech forum employee" makes me think your a wanna be, who thinks he already knows it all. when in fact the proof, shows the opposite... so show some humility and STOP SHOUTING!...

Alex The PC Gamer

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2007

Troll? Nah...too good for a troll but horrible for "A TECH FORUMS EMPLOYEE".

oh and DON'T TYPE IN CAPITAL LETTERS! It's annoying.

FlyingFireTiger

Honorable
Mar 5, 2013
Windows 8 is a disgrace of an operating system. A computer should have a computer os, not one that was meant for a phone... Go with windows 7 pro

thomasf94

Honorable
Apr 10, 2012

+1

I love windows 8. I also have had zero issues with it, both gaming wise and normal work. Also if you want the start menu back, just get something like start8.

Again though, its just personal preference. 7 is more stable just because its been out for so long and its drivers are all set.

Windows 8 is still worth a try IMO

DM36

Honorable
Feb 12, 2013
I just built a new gaming computer, and did indeed go with windows 8 64-bit. I currently have well over 2,000 games in my PC collection. (before anyone asks, they are all legally obtained copies)

Will be running the course of games from all generations, including compatibility modes, community compatibility mods, dos-box, scummvm and other sources for older games, to give them the test.

Driver issues aside, I have not really seen any credible sources for people claiming games just do not work period. Just speculation. Bottom line, older games are NOT designed to work on windows 7 either. But they still do, with the proper tweaking.

The main complaints I hear about Windows 8 is because of the new interface. It does indeed take getting used to. It's not like when we jumped from XP to Vista to 7. No, this is a whole new ball game. You WILL need to do some learning. It is not that familiar for anyone who has used windows in the past. But is it hard to learn? No. It's just different.

Metro will leave you scratching your head at first. Granted, it does look pretty, it is still unfamiliar territory. But don't get discouraged. The OS is blazing fast, and so far I am really digging it.

Status
Not open for further replies.