[SOLVED] Best option for Xbox?

Mar 19, 2019
Hi,

I currently have my Xbox One hard wired to the Ethernet port on my modem going from the 2nd floor to the first floor. I have had ping upwards of 800 in some online games. There is currently 21mbps of internet speeds where I am, however my family uses 10+ devices at the same time.

Hardware I’m using:
CenturyLink C1900a as the modem (the Xbox is direct wired to this with a gigabit cable)

Linksys WHW03 as the router

Would it work better to buy a 2nd router for the 2nd floor to have a closer access point to go wireless, or do I already have the best option with having the Xbox direct wired to the router downstairs?

Last edited:
Solution
You already have the best option. Adding another router and a wifi connection can only make it worse. Your current configuration you have a gigabit dedicated path between you and the router.

I would test your latency when nobody else is home using the connection. I would turn off the wifi radios and unplug everything except your pc. This is just to test so hopefully other family members will agree to a short test.

If it runs fine the your problem is competition for bandwidth. There really is no true solution for this other than to buy more bandwidth which likely is not a actual option for you.

Although you might be able to use QoS to solve this the century link router appears to be rather limited.

Your first step...
You already have the best option. Adding another router and a wifi connection can only make it worse. Your current configuration you have a gigabit dedicated path between you and the router.

I would test your latency when nobody else is home using the connection. I would turn off the wifi radios and unplug everything except your pc. This is just to test so hopefully other family members will agree to a short test.

If it runs fine the your problem is competition for bandwidth. There really is no true solution for this other than to buy more bandwidth which likely is not a actual option for you.

Although you might be able to use QoS to solve this the century link router appears to be rather limited.

Your first step though is to try to determine what other traffic is using the bandwidth. No matter what you do someone is going to have to give up some of their usage. In some cases it may be does someone watching agree to not watch say netflix or deal with video buffering so you can get low ping in the game. Although a fancy router can implement rules like this it does not mean it somehow magically makes it so everyone can use the internet and not be impacted, someone is not going to get what they need.

Reactions: Roadhog117
Solution