[SOLVED] Best Paid/Free Softwares You Run?

RKD2313

Prominent
Aug 13, 2021
Currently I have:

(Paid) Nord VPN: use mainly for Firestick
(Paid) Restoro
(Free) CCleaner
Anti-Virus: Windows Defender

Debating on MalwareBytes

Solution
I do a stock install. First thing I do is to delete/disable One Drive. I then go to Ninite and use it to load a bunch of the basic stuff I want in one shot, such as Chrome, VLC, 7 zip...stuff like that. I like to use CoreTemp because it works well (particularly with Ryzen). I get MSI Afterburner and Riva. I use Samsung Magician, I have come around to utilizing "defender" (Windows Security) in lieu of much else. I used Symantec for years but have gotten away from it's use as of late for various reasons. I like Davinci for video editing which I am no good at. One of the biggest freeware things we use is pdf escape. I use Adobe as well, but sometimes it won't edit things correctly so use 'escape' as a backup and it works really well.

I...

COLGeek

Cybernaut
An oldie, but a goodie on a similar subject.

Reactions: RKD2313
D

Deleted member 14196

Sublime Text 3 (supports Linux, Windows and MacOs--used in Windows and Linux)
Sublime Merge (supports Linux, Windows and MacOs--used in Windows and Linux)
Macrium Reflect

above all paid versions only.

Free

git

Reactions: RKD2313

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
I do a stock install. First thing I do is to delete/disable One Drive. I then go to Ninite and use it to load a bunch of the basic stuff I want in one shot, such as Chrome, VLC, 7 zip...stuff like that. I like to use CoreTemp because it works well (particularly with Ryzen). I get MSI Afterburner and Riva. I use Samsung Magician, I have come around to utilizing "defender" (Windows Security) in lieu of much else. I used Symantec for years but have gotten away from it's use as of late for various reasons. I like Davinci for video editing which I am no good at. One of the biggest freeware things we use is pdf escape. I use Adobe as well, but sometimes it won't edit things correctly so use 'escape' as a backup and it works really well.

I pay for Dropbox and Quickbooks because we need them for work. Same with Adobe. I have been starting to use Libre Office or Open Office in lieu of MS Office products because they went dumb about licensure and having to be subscribed.
In the future I suspect that I will be utilizing Ubuntu for freeware OS as a replacement for W10 on the older, but still capable, work machines.

Solution

TradeJack01

Commendable
Feb 19, 2022
I use Kaspersky Anti-Virus (the free version, not paid!).

Echoing one of you: Chrome, VLC, 7 zip, CoreTemp (simple and works!), MSI Afterburner

Then also Foxit PDF reader, MS Office.

I also use WSL2 (Windows Subsystem Linux version 2).

I also absolutely need Putty, Notepad++.

RKD2313

Prominent
Aug 13, 2021
II then go to Ninite and use it to load a bunch of the basic stuff I want in one shot, such as Chrome, VLC, 7 zip...stuff like that. I like to use CoreTemp because it works well (particularly with Ryzen)
What would be the equivalent of Ninite, except more custom? Could someone just use like a Zip file or IMG or something, and then unpack it all on a server, fresh install, new/diff conputer? I love the idea of Ninite though. I will definitely use it. Had no idea it existed.

USAFRet

Titan
What would be the equivalent of Ninite, except more custom? Could someone just use like a Zip file or IMG or something, and then unpack it all on a server, fresh install, new/diff conputer? I love the idea of Ninite though. I will definitely use it. Had no idea it existed.
Ninite is different in that it goes and gets the latest version of whatever.
It installs everything from a single click.
It also deselects any extra software the desired package may want to install as well. Which a lot of Free applications do.