[SOLVED] Best Pairing of CPU/GPU's upgrading from a i5 7600K/1060 6 GB

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BryceSpicey

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2014
So I'm looking to upgrade from my ASUS GTX 1060 6 GB and i5 7600K to the next step. These would flawlessly run games at high above 100 frames at 1080p a couple years ago, but not so much anymore. I'm just looking to run for the majority open world games and system demanding games like Borderlands 3 and EFT on Ultra settings at a consistent 60+, perf 100+ on most games released this year. I'm currently looking at the i7 9700K and the RTX 2060, I was thinking the 2070 but I'm not looking to run games anything above the resolution of 1080p, so the $150/200 increase in price isn't worth it. Better pairings for similar/better performance are appreciated for around the same price or less, any brand AMD, Nvidia Intel and all. If the current idea of what I have, being the 9700K and 2060 will work great for what I'm trying to achieve, please let me know thank you :)

Solution
For the motherboard, preferably around $100 or less, not looking for anything flashy just as long as it gets the job done and doesn’t limit performance, plus I don’t intend to overclock, or at least much at all.
As for the CPU $300-400
And the GPU $300-400 I can maybe push that further but would prefer not to.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i7-9700K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($359.99 @ B&H)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock 4 CPU Cooler ($74.90 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock Z390 Pro4 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($104.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER 8 GB AORUS Video Card ($449.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $989.87
Prices...

BryceSpicey

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2014
Unfortunately, that's one of the few Msi boards that DOESN'T have the bios flashback feature. What is available for you?
Sorry, I forgot to include it's the MSI PRO B450M PRO-M2 MAX so it supports 3rd gen so no need for bios flashing. It's half the price of the cheapest x570, being $75. The only problem I can visibly see, looking at description and pictures, is 2 ram slots. I don't ever intend to have more than 64 GB of ram, at least with that board lol.

BryceSpicey

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2014
Ah, indeed it does.
2 memory slots isn't really an issue, unless you need more than 32GBs(the mobo's supported maximum).
So no really red flags stand out with this board? Like I said, I'm just looking to get a "get the job" done motherboard and that's it. I have everything else ordered, and I think I've finalized my decision to order this motherboard, again, thanks for all the help, guys :)

j3ster

Reputable
May 23, 2016
Quick question, the motherboard you listed hasn't been in stock in quite some time. Looking for some budget boards, instead of a $150 x570, I found an MSI PRO B450M PRO-M2 which is pretty much the same thing as the Tomahawk you listed, but without the flashy stuff, at least from what I could see. Would this be a fine replacement? It looks fine to me but some second eyes would be appreciated. Thanks :)

what other B450 do you have available there? as phaaze88 mentioned its one of the few which doesnt feature a bios flashback which is a nifty tool. are there any Asus, gigabyte or asrock b450s available?

BryceSpicey

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2014
what other B450 do you have available there? as phaaze88 mentioned its one of the few which doesnt feature a bios flashback which is a nifty tool. are there any Asus, gigabyte or asrock b450s available?
Why do you need bios flashback if the correct versions are already pre-installed being the MAX version of the board? I just genuinely don't know why or what it's used for if it's 3rd generation ready.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Why do you need bios flashback if the correct versions are already pre-installed being the MAX version of the board? I just genuinely don't know why or what it's used for if it's 3rd generation ready.
j3ster may have missed the part about the Max motherboard.

Thing is, those boards aren't widely available yet, plus there's also the matter of supply keeping up with demand, so not everyone that wants a more affordable ticket to Ryzen 3000 can get their hands on one.

j3ster

Reputable
May 23, 2016

they said they found a "MSI PRO B450M PRO-M2" OP didnt specifically say it as the MAX version so i assumed as such. :)
so the op would have to manually update the BIOS. so without a 2nd gen ryzen they would want to get something with BIOS flashback or get the MAX version.