Best PC Cases 2019: Our Tested Picks for Your New Build

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

g-unit1111

Titan
Wish there was a best 'no-frills' budget category, especially for micro ATX. Not everybody needs or even wants built in RGB lighting and controllers, glass side panels, etc. Would be nice to see the best options that just look at temps/air flow, # of fans included, noise, dust filters, ease of use/cable management, etc.

Yeah I agree, there should be options like the Corsair 200R and Cooler Master N200 available for people who don't want or need an RGB setup.

Reactions: TJ Hooker

mlee 2500

Honorable
Oct 20, 2014
Fractal Design is conspicuously missing from this list. Their Define R6 and other chassis are as good or better then anything listed here, and very well priced. The newer editions even have front panel USB C.

Fractal, NZXT, and be quiet! are all making outstanding products right now, so much better than anything available at any price point several years ago. I enjoy building PC's so much more these days, largely due to case improvements versus a decade ago.

80-watt Hamster

Honorable
Oct 9, 2014
If I may be allowed to hop up on my handy soapbox here...

Ah, there we go. -ahem - I cut my PC building teeth ~20 years ago, so bear that in mind when digesting the following. That first case, a beige box with its 4x5.25/3x3.5/2x80mm configuration is still in use. Why? It's sure not features. Tool-less? Nuh-uh . Cable management? Ha! Liquid cooling support? Um, what's that? What it does better than anything I can find on the ATX market today is be both well-built and compact. It's only about 400x190x400mm if memory serves, and I can safely stand on the bloody thing. NZXT's H500, for reference, is considered compact today and measures 460x210x430. Admittedly, that height includes feet (and you probably don't want to stand on it). Cases in my favored dimensions exist, but are universally flexi-flyers with knockout slot covers; most also have ugly vents all over. With all the action in the mini-ITX space, one would be tempted to think that compactness as a design consideration would propagate to other segments of the market. Apparently not.

Thanks for listening. Now, if anyone needs me, I'll be over here with my Superpower Zephyr and Antec SOLO, yelling at kids to get off my lawn, at least once the snow melts.

g-unit1111

Titan
Fractal Design is conspicuously missing from this list. Their Define R6 and other chassis are as good or better then anything listed here, and very well priced. The newer editions even have front panel USB C.

Fractal, NZXT, and be quiet! are all making outstanding products right now, so much better than anything available at any price point several years ago. I enjoy building PC's so much more these days, largely due to case improvements versus a decade ago.

Oh for sure. If I was going to build a new rig from scratch I'd use the Define S2 without even thinking about it.

Reactions: mlee 2500

mlee 2500

Honorable
Oct 20, 2014
If I may be allowed to hop up on my handy soapbox here...

Ah, there we go. -ahem - I cut my PC building teeth ~20 years ago, so bear that in mind when digesting the following. That first case, a beige box with its 4x5.25/3x3.5/2x80mm configuration is still in use. Why? It's sure not features. Tool-less? Nuh-uh . Cable management? Ha! Liquid cooling support? Um, what's that? What it does better than anything I can find on the ATX market today is be both well-built and compact. It's only about 400x190x400mm if memory serves, and I can safely stand on the bloody thing. NZXT's H500, for reference, is considered compact today and measures 460x210x430. Admittedly, that height includes feet (and you probably don't want to stand on it). Cases in my favored dimensions exist, but are universally flexi-flyers with knockout slot covers; most also have ugly vents all over. With all the action in the mini-ITX space, one would be tempted to think that compactness as a design consideration would propagate to other segments of the market. Apparently not.

Thanks for listening. Now, if anyone needs me, I'll be over here with my Superpower Zephyr and Antec SOLO, yelling at kids to get off my lawn, at least once the snow melts.

Somewhere out there is a REAL old-timer who had to integrate ST-506 controllers into 286 based platforms before PC standards were even really a "thing", and to which by comparison building a PC in the 90's was a piece of cake.

80-watt Hamster

Honorable
Oct 9, 2014
Somewhere out there is a REAL old-timer who had to integrate ST-506 controllers into 286 based platforms before PC standards were even really a "thing", and to which by comparison building a PC in the 90's was a piece of cake.

Don't get me wrong: building PC's in the (late) 90's WAS a piece of cake. Ecommerce had become a thing, and plug-and-play was finally reliable. Win98 and NT mostly worked; and if one didn't like that, Linux was standing off to the side saying, "Hey, I work pretty well now, even for people without modest programming skills." I just, every so often, feel compelled to complain about how the state of the market isn't serving me personally. :p

mlee 2500

Honorable
Oct 20, 2014
Well, now that you mention it, it wasn't ALL roses in the 90's...for awhile there it seemed like Intel couldn't come out with a CPU that didn't have preposterous thermals (remember cartridge heat sinks?), "Quiet" was an entirely foreign concept to the makers of cases and fans, and woe is anyone who had to deal with Windows ME after the turn of the century.

Don't get me wrong: building PC's in the (late) 90's WAS a piece of cake. Ecommerce had become a thing, and plug-and-play was finally reliable. Win98 and NT mostly worked; and if one didn't like that, Linux was standing off to the side saying, "Hey, I work pretty well now, even for people without modest programming skills." I just, every so often, feel compelled to complain about how the state of the market isn't serving me personally. :p

Exia00

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2013
I am sorry but after looking at your "Best case" list the only 2 that is remotely worth buying is the "be quiet! Silent Base 601" and the "Riotoro CR500 TG " the rest on there is pretty much garbage because i am sorry but the "Cooler Master Cosmos C700M" might look nice but a case that costs almost the same as an fully built system is just too much cause who in their right mind is going to pay over 700$ for just a case not to mention when you click on the newegg link for the "Riotoro CR500 TG" there is 1 egg out of 5 and the person that bought it mentions false advertising on the case and sorry but if i was to go for a ITX build i would rather go for the Fractal Design Node 202 or even the SilverStone SST-VZ03B.

The one case i bought during this year is the Deepcool Matrexx 55 which is a mid tower case for 70$ has excellent air flow and supports up to a EATX motherboard not to mention 6 fans can be installed which is 1 rear 2 top and 3 front which the front panel has very good ventilation and dust filters on it unlike the COUGAR Panzer Evo RGB which just from looking at the case the front vents is pretty small and already with all the tempered glass on it it does look like it doesn't have good enough air flow which really there is more to a case than having it look pretty and filling it up with RGB lights and with that being said you should really rethink about the top pick for cases and if this was votes from random people you also have to remember that there is a lot of people that doesn't even monitor their systems which i have seen people do all intake for their fans thinking their system will be nice and cool enough which really it is just a lot of hot air being kept inside.

Colif

Win 11 Master
case designers chased Tempered glass and rgb last year, even the case makers who should know better like LIan LI and SIlverstone made fish tanks pretending to be cases. I don't need a case yet but would be nice to see one that even comes close to what I have already when it comes to cooling, as I do want to get a new PC eventually

It shouldn't be hard to find a case with non glass side panels.

Jul 15, 2019

I'm kind of an old-timer, and my recollection is that folks were slapping together CP/M systems in S-100 card cages likely before you were born.

Gurg

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2013
For my build in December I chose a Themalake P3. Beautiful versatile open air case that looks like a piece of art and can be located vertically, horizontally or wall mounted. No need for case fans which just add to noise and trap dust. Mine is vertical on side table with gpu mounted on included vertical frame so it isn't hanging on motherboard. With smoke tempered glass side removed it is basically a test bench when horizontal. Plenty of room, easy to access parts. Amazon $139. TH apparently has never reviewed this case.

https://www.thermaltake.com/C_00002908.htm?id=C_00002908

kep55

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Does Tom's ever review normal cases any more? One without glass / plastic windows which have horrible thermal transference? Cases without lights that serve no purpose but power draining? My first build was based on a CoolerMaster aluminum case Tom's recommended. That was 15 years ago or so and my daughter is still using it for her DJ gigs.

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
While I admittedly did not read the entire article, I just wanted to say that the introduction was very well thought out.
Cases are an extremely personal choice based on asthetics and functionality.
I personally always buy a case based first on build quality and cooling/airflow. Also on features that are important to me such as number of HDDs/SSDs supported, GPU length and CPU cooler/AIO it supports.
I do consider asthetics but only after insuring that a case meets all my other needs.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Does Tom's ever review normal cases any more? One without glass / plastic windows which have horrible thermal transference? Cases without lights that serve no purpose but power draining? My first build was based on a CoolerMaster aluminum case Tom's recommended. That was 15 years ago or so and my daughter is still using it for her DJ gigs.
We don't get sent many lower-profile products. But about the glass: It does a better job of containing noise than heat. Steel panels are not nearly as beneficial as good ventilation.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Whereas I always go the other way. I'll look for 4 or 10 cases I really kinda dig the looks of. From that list, I'll hunt down reviews, read websites etc and whittle away the dross that doesn't fit basic necessities of the build and budget. That'll usually leave 2-4 or so, and then it's onto the luxuries, as in what's nice, what's a bonus, what I can live without. That'll leave 1-2 top winners to pick from.

Ya'll think the 90's weren't so peachy, hah, try modding cases in the 80's, back when a pc was bought pretty much the same way as an Atari or a Playstation, all in one piece. Tandys got to be fun, and when the AT towers finally rolled in, I was tearing through drill bits on dad's drill press just punching out grill holes for side mount fans above the cpu. Which needed long extensions in order to get your hands under that massive upside down U shaped single piece of steel.

crysis2

Distinguished
May 5, 2012
I personally rather to get Obsidian Series 1000D Premium Super-Tower instead of
Cooler Master Cosmos C700M as Best High-End case!(also why it was not included? bot this cases are at the same price)

Larry_11

Honorable
Nov 24, 2015
I am not sure how you can rate a case so high that does not have room for radiators without modifications I looked at the two top rated ATX cases, and neither can mount top cooling. No ATX case gets my vote unless it can take 2x 140mm radiator without tossing the case fans, or being forced to have the case fans in front of it I have a strong personal preference for a top cooling solution and every one of these cases fail on that

The alt for the top rated seems superior than your first choice

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I am not sure how you can rate a case so high that does not have room for radiators without modifications I looked at the two top rated ATX cases, and neither can mount top cooling. No ATX case gets my vote unless it can take 2x 140mm radiator without tossing the case fans, or being forced to have the case fans in front of it I have a strong personal preference for a top cooling solution and every one of these cases fail on that

The alt for the top rated seems superior than your first choice
I suspect that the reviewer's answer would be that front-mounted radiators work better, at least in theory. You don't have to try to push warm air down to get it from outside the case, and you don't use the alternative (warm air up through the radiator).

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Funny, ppl have been running rads top and front in full custom loops for years, yet seldom ever complain about all that hot air inside the case heating up their hdds or ram or affecting their VRM's etc.

xyster

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2005
So I personally hate spending any money on a case if I can make due without one. I try to go FREE whenever possible; or like $10 from the local thrift store or something.

So in my newest build, I gutted an old work system with like an E6600 in it and saved its ye ol' Antec Three Hundred case (2008) for my 2019 build.
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/mid-tower-case-roundup,2055-3.html

11-129-042-26.jpg

Next, I ripped out the rivets that held the drive trays in place. All of a sudden the case was made modern !! And a perfect size for my newest gaming build.

9900K, 64GB DDR4, Geforce Titan RTX, 1250w Seasonic Gold PUS, NVMe drive, and a 280mm EVGA AIO. I had to do a tiny bit of snippy snippy with metal sheers to maximize airflow, and then I needed to zip-tie the radiator in place, but the system is stable. CPU never hits over 75'C even with a 5.0ghz all-core overclock and runs in the 60's if I mount a VRM facing side fan. The ASUS motherboard comes with VRM fan mounting brackets for that and there are 3D printer models online for printing out custom fan mounts for the VRM/RAM.

20190919-032309-HDR.jpg

Only downside with the biuld is that it does not have the best cable management, but whatever.

Status
Not open for further replies.