Question First time Builder, Best PC Component's for $3000 budget

Oct 27, 2024
Main purpose would be as generally capable as possible I would like it to handle high end gaming, and game recording, and also be able to handle something like creo

I would like any suggestions for the best components possible for this price range

Any feedback or comments would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2024
You forgot to say the purposes of the PC.....the top 2 or 3 reasons.

Are you in Boston or Borneo or?

You might get some pushing toward AMD. Do you have any particular allegiance to Intel?
Thank you for answering I would like to have as general purpose a pc as possible, mostly gaming and recording, and also be able to handle some higher end work programs like maybe creo or something like that.

No I don't have any preference towards intel, what amd chips and then motherboards would you recommend?

Thank you for answering I would like to have as general purpose a pc as possible, mostly gaming and recording, and also be able to handle some higher end work programs like maybe creo or something like that.

No I don't have any preference towards intel, what amd chips and then motherboards would you recommend?

What has led you to choose those specific components?

If you INSIST on that motherboard, you cannot use that CPU.

If you INSIST on that CPU, you cannot use that motherboard.

So I'm wondering how you arrived at that. A recommendation somewhere? Price? Features of some kind?

Main purpose would be as generally capable as possible I would like it to handle as high end games as possible, do recording, and also be able to handle something like creo

If anyone could give me ideas on the following

-better component choices

-component compatibility

-or anything else

These are the components I'm currently thinking of:
CORSAIR 3500X ARGB Mid-Tower ATX PC Case

Nvidia GeForce RTX 4080

Intel® Core™ i9 processor 14900HX

Lian Li Galahad II Performance 360

VENGEANCE® 48GB (2x24GB) DDR5

Crucial T500 1TB PCIe Gen4 NVMe M.2 SSD

ROG Maximus Z790 Dark Hero

I haven't researched a power supply yet so any suggestions about that would also be appreciated,

Any feedback or comments would be appreciated.
Hey there,

You have chosen a mobile processor for a desktop board. They do not work together. This is what the others are referring too. A mobile processor is for laptops or very small form factor mini PC's.

If you can answer the questions above more clearly, we can then better advise on the parts you need.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2024
What has led you to choose those specific components?

If you INSIST on that motherboard, you cannot use that CPU.

If you INSIST on that CPU, you cannot use that motherboard.

So I'm wondering how you arrived at that. A recommendation somewhere? Price? Features of some kind?
This is my first time building a pc so I don't have any bias to either Intel or AMD or any company for that matter.

I just did a little bit of research on my own and found these components, but I am open to any suggestions for any other component combination,

Should I maybe not list the components, does that make it more confusing?
If so, if you feel like it could you tell me how I could ask it differently.

Thank you for taking the time to continue this conversation.

I wouldn't get bogged down in the AMD/Intel issue. Either one could be fine.

Do you need ALL of these parts?

Monitor
Operating system
Keyboard
Mouse
Case
CPU
Motherboard
CPU cooler (sometimes included with CPU)
RAM
Drives (1?, 2?, 3 or more?; capacity?)
Fans other than what is included with your case
Video card
Power supply
DVD drive

Do you have any interest in lighting?

Is high end gaming your primary interest?

Have you investigated what Creo's requirements are? Or CAD in general?

Do you have a preference for either air or liquid cooling?

Any special requirements?? (limited space; strong aversion to noise, particular fear of temperatures, reluctance to buy online, whatever)

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2024
Hey there,

You have chosen a mobile processor for a desktop board. They do not work together. This is what the others are referring too. A mobile processor is for laptops or very small form factor mini PC's.

If you can answer the questions above more clearly, we can then better advise on the parts you need.

Are
I just want the best possible pc in this price range Im not dedicated to one component or the other,

this is my first time building a pc so any feedback is appreciated,

Was it confusing posting the components?

What made my question most confusing I have edited it so let me know if you think I should change it back.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2024
I wouldn't get bogged down in the AMD/Intel issue. Either one could be fine.

Do you need ALL of these parts?

Monitor
Operating system
Keyboard
Mouse
Case
CPU
Motherboard
CPU cooler (sometimes included with CPU)
RAM
Drives (1?, 2?, 3 or more?; capacity?)
Fans other than what is included with your case
Video card
Power supply
DVD drive

Do you have any interest in lighting?

Do you have a preference for either air or liquid cooling?

Any special requirements?? (limited space; strong aversion to noise, particular fear of temperatures, reluctance to buy online, whatever)
Mostly right now Im just interested in the pc aspect so things like the RAM, mother board, CPU, CPU cooler, Fans Video Card Power supply, and the Case,

really the only limitation is the cost other than that I don't have any preferences.

but like I said this is my first time building a pc so any advice on anything is appreciated,

Right, well, Ill go with a build here.

Something like this:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D 4.2 GHz 16-Core Processor ($597.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Lian Li Galahad II Trinity Performance 108.29 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($113.99 @ Adorama)
Motherboard: MSI MAG X670E TOMAHAWK WIFI ATX AM5 Motherboard ($227.00 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR5-6400 CL32 Memory ($194.90 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 990 Pro 4 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($294.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Gigabyte WINDFORCE V2 GeForce RTX 4080 SUPER 16 GB Video Card ($999.97 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT H9 Flow ATX Mid Tower Case ($159.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair RM1000x (2021) 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($189.95 @ Amazon)
Total: $2778.78
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-10-28 12:53 EDT-0400

I'm sure others will have ideas, and whether or not to go up and down in price on certain components.

The CPU is a bit overkill, but gives stellar gaming performance, and top multicore performance too.

Oct 27, 2024
Right, well, Ill go with a build here.

Something like this:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D 4.2 GHz 16-Core Processor ($597.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Lian Li Galahad II Trinity Performance 108.29 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($113.99 @ Adorama)
Motherboard: MSI MAG X670E TOMAHAWK WIFI ATX AM5 Motherboard ($227.00 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR5-6400 CL32 Memory ($194.90 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 990 Pro 4 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($294.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Gigabyte WINDFORCE V2 GeForce RTX 4080 SUPER 16 GB Video Card ($999.97 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT H9 Flow ATX Mid Tower Case ($159.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair RM1000x (2021) 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($189.95 @ Amazon)
Total: $2778.78
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-10-28 12:53 EDT-0400

I'm sure others will have ideas, and whether or not to go up and down in price on certain components.

The CPU is a bit overkill, but gives stellar gaming performance, and top multicore performance too.
Thank you this is more or less exactly what I am looking for.

logainofhades

Titan
Creo is very multithreaded, so a 16c chip isn't necessary. I did a 1tb ssd for OS, another for a scratch drive, if Creo is capable of that. I forgot to ask the CAD guys I work with. Then a 4tb to store games and models. Did 96gb ram as Creo does love memory, and the 7900xtx for the extra V-ram.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.2 GHz 8-Core Processor ($476.74 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Thermalright Peerless Assassin 140 77.8 CFM CPU Cooler ($54.90 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte X870E AORUS ELITE WIFI7 ATX AM5 Motherboard ($319.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 96 GB (2 x 48 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Memory ($329.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Inland Performance Plus 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($77.98 @ Amazon)
Storage: Inland Performance Plus 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($77.98 @ Amazon)
Storage: Inland Performance Plus 4 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($299.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Gigabyte GAMING OC Radeon RX 7900 XTX 24 GB Video Card ($889.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Montech AIR 903 MAX ATX Mid Tower Case ($74.98 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Enermax Revolution D.F. X 1050 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($119.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $2722.53
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-10-28 13:33 EDT-0400