Aug 14, 2021
Hi,
I am an animator and I've made many short films on my PC and released them on my YouTube channel removed by moderator
My Desktop computer keeps freezing every 1 - 2 hours, so I feel it may be best to obtain a new computer for my animation needs. (I plan on using my computer for 3D animation in the future.)

Here are my current specs:
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770k CPU
Installed RAM: 16.0 GB
Graphics Card/GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960
Power Supply: 550W ATX 12V Computer Power Supply Desktop PC PSU PS 500W
Animation Programs: Adobe Animate, Blender

I live in Albuquerque New Mexico.

What are some excellent PC's for 3D animation? (I prefer a pre-built computer, but I can work with a list of parts as well.)
BUDGET:
Around $1,000 USD

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
Around that price range, if a parts list is a little over$1,000 it should be fine. And preferably I like it to be lower than $1,000.
PCPartPicker Part List

Type|Item|Price
:----|:----|:----
CPU | Intel Core i7-10700F 2.9 GHz 8-Core Processor | $259.99 @ B&H
CPU Cooler | Noctua NH-U12S 55 CFM CPU Cooler | $69.94 @ Amazon
Motherboard | ASRock B560M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1200 Motherboard | $99.99 @ Newegg
Memory | Team T-FORCE DARK Za 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory | $142.99 @ Amazon
Storage | Samsung 970 Pro 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive | $269.00 @ Amazon
Power Supply | SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully...
Hi,
I am an animator and I've made many short films on my PC and released them on my YouTube channel

My Desktop computer keeps freezing every 1 - 2 hours, so I feel it may be best to obtain a new computer for my animation needs. (I plan on using my computer for 3D animation in the future.)

What are some excellent PC's for 3D animation? (I prefer a pre-built computer, but I can work with a list of parts as well.)
BUDGET:
Around $1,000
What are the current specs of your PC? And where do you live at?

Reactions: RodroX
Hi,
I am an animator and I've made many short films on my PC and released them on my YouTube channel

Here are my current specs:
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770k CPU
Installed RAM: 16.0 GB
Graphics Card/GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960

I live in Albuquerque New Mexico.

BUDGET:
Around $1,000
Other than the freezing does the pc do what you need?

Reactions: RodroX
Aug 14, 2021
When you animate a project what's getting busy?
Cpu/gpu/ram?
The freezing might tie into a heat issue which also might tie into throttling making the machine slow.
A good cleaning and some thermal paste might fix both areas......cheap.
Thank you for the suggestions, but my brother already told me to do this.
I blew it out with an air compressor and found the processor was running hot on startup, so I removed/re-applied thermal paste to the processor already. It now runs around 55° C normally, but sadly it still freezes.

Thank you for the suggestions, but my brother already told me to do this.
I blew it out with an air compressor and found the processor was running hot on startup, so I removed/re-applied thermal paste to the processor already. It now runs around 55° C normally, but sadly it still freezes.
The freezing can be many things.
Bios/drivers/ram/loose connection/other.
You get to fuss with stuff.
When you blew out the pc did you also blow out the psu?

Aug 14, 2021
The freezing can be many things.
Bios/drivers/ram/loose connection/other.
You get to fuss with stuff.
When you blew out the pc did you also blow out the psu?
I believe I did blow out the psu. When my computer freezes it immediately goes to BIOS, it didn't do that before, but now it does.
I'm okay if you'd like to discuss how to fix my current computer further, but I'm still looking for a good new Animation PC for the time being.

Aug 14, 2021
what would you like to reuse from your old pc?
Maybe just the RAM and Graphics Card, if I really need to reuse old components, and you don't think they could be damaged. Though I do like the idea of obtianing a completely different PC, and hanging on to my current computer as it is in the hopes that a solution to it's slowing/freezing/crashing can be found later on.

PCPartPicker Part List

Type|Item|Price
CPU | Intel Core i7-10700F 2.9 GHz 8-Core Processor | $7240.16 @ Newegg Mexico
CPU Cooler | Noctua NH-U12S 55 CFM CPU Cooler | $2310.64 @ Newegg Mexico
Motherboard | ASRock B560M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1200 Motherboard | $3311.45 @ Newegg Mexico

Memory | Team T-FORCE DARK Za 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory | $2469.86 @ Newegg Mexico
OR
Memory | Team T-FORCE DARK Za 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory | $4190.87 @ Newegg Mexico

Storage | Team MP33 256 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive | $1446.70 @ Newegg Mexico
Power Supply | SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply |-
| Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts |
| Total | $16778.81
| Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-08-19 19:13 CDT-0500 |

I think you need to find the PSU on your own. FOR $1000 usd this should be more than enough, Upgrades are on the CPU side, SSD side, and Ram (just buy the same 2x8gb kit and you'll be fine). Put the SSD on the nvme slot under the first nvme slot.
I'm not from the states but isn't Albuquerque New Mexico in the USA?

Around that price range, if a parts list is a little over$1,000 it should be fine. And preferably I like it to be lower than $1,000.
PCPartPicker Part List

Type|Item|Price
Memory | Team T-FORCE DARK Za 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory | $142.99 @ Amazon
Storage | Samsung 970 Pro 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive | $269.00 @ Amazon
Power Supply | SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply | $121.99 @ Amazon
| Total | $963.90
| Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-08-19 20:48 EDT-0400 |

You have the upgrade option on the CPU and the Ram (just buy the same ram and you'll be fine on 4x16gb if you ever needed to.)
Put the ssd on the bottom NVME slot since the top nvme slot is for intel 11th gen only (PCIe 4.0 lanes only available on 11th Gen).
After you assemble everything, update the bios to the latest and turn off the CSM, and your're good to go.

Solution
Aug 14, 2021
PCPartPicker Part List

Type|Item|Price
Power Supply | SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply | $121.99 @ Amazon
| Total | $963.90
| Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-08-19 20:48 EDT-0400 |

You have the upgrade option on the CPU and the Ram (just buy the same ram and you'll be fine on 4x16gb if you ever needed to.)
Put the ssd on the bottom NVME slot since the top nvme slot is for intel 11th gen only (PCIe 4.0 lanes only available on 11th Gen).
After you assemble everything, update the bios to the latest and turn off the CSM, and your're good to go.
Thank you so much for this comprehensive parts list! I'll take a look at these items and check with my brother to see if he thinks they'll be good to use.

I did notice something seemed to be missing, don't I also need a Graphics Card for a computer?

Thank you so much for this comprehensive parts list! I'll take a look at these items and check with my brother to see if he thinks they'll be good to use.

I did notice something seemed to be missing, don't I also need a Graphics Card for a computer?
Here is a list including a graphics card:
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-10400F 2.9 GHz 6-Core Processor ($150.99 @ Adorama)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Pure Rock 2 Black CPU Cooler ($44.90 @ B&H)
Motherboard: ASRock B560 Pro4 ATX LGA1200 Motherboard ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Aegis 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 Memory ($128.00 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 980 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($109.99 @ Dell)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB GAMING X Video Card ($289.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Phanteks Eclipse P300A Mesh ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: ADATA XPG PYLON 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($57.99 @ Newegg Sellers)
Total: $951.84
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-08-20 16:10 EDT-0400

g-unit1111

Titan
BUDGET:
Around $1,000 USD

For pre-built? No such thing. You also might want to up your budget a bit to deal with the graphics card scarcity right now. Some of them are starting to come back in stock but it could be a while before you get one.

If you insist on going with pre-built, both NZXT and Corsair have better pre-built options than anything you could get from Newegg or Amazon.

Aug 14, 2021
For pre-built? No such thing. You also might want to up your budget a bit to deal with the graphics card scarcity right now. Some of them are starting to come back in stock but it could be a while before you get one.

If you insist on going with pre-built, both NZXT and Corsair have better pre-built options than anything you could get from Newegg or Amazon.
As far as grpahics cards go, I know the "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 " is a little cheaper now, than when I first bought it(around $150 on Ebay), so if anything I could pick up another one of those. Of course, it would be better to get the best parts possible to ensure the longevity of my equipment.
However, what if I purchased a decently priced graphics card to use for the time being, then pick up a great Graphics Card when the prices have gone down?

TommyTwoTone66

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 24, 2021
As far as grpahics cards go, I know the "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 " is a little cheaper now, than when I first bought it(around $150 on Ebay), so if anything I could pick up another one of those. Of course, it would be better to get the best parts possible to ensure the longevity of my equipment.
However, what if I purchased a decently priced graphics card to use for the time being, then pick up a great Graphics Card when the prices have gone down?

For 2D animation this would make no difference. Your GTX960 is more than capable of running any animation software quickly. For 3D animation sure, whatever the best GPU you can afford is will make a lot of difference, then get something like a 3080Ti when they go under $1000...

g-unit1111

Titan

You could but that 960 wouldn't be of much use in a rendering rig because it's nearly 5 years old now, and rendering software has evolved way beyond that since then. I don't know about animation but I do know rendering because I work with rendering software like Sketchup and Revit and you don't want an old GPU for those purposes.