Best PC for math calculations

jkepler

Commendable
Apr 13, 2016
Good morning friends,

I work mainly in celestial mechanics (astronomy) research. I made a particular software that probably will work for a few days, and deals with hight mathematical algorithms and needs high performance and speed, huge disk capability (1-3TB), accuracy, etc.

Can someone please advise me the best features I should choose regarding the PC to use? Like RAM, processor, cpu features, etc.? I believe some will matter, others won't.

Thanks in advance.

JKepler

well if your asking what would affect the computations you are trying to engender based on "how fast can I make it"

then a few factors come to play depending how you programmed your math computations

1. number of cpu the more, then the more compactions at one time can be made

2. amount of ram, more you have more it can process.. (up to a point)

3. have you programmed the use of a video card cpu to do the computations for you ? (like a bitcoin mining software does) then better the video card the faster your computations will go.

4. you mention huge disk capabilities, if you mean, you will need a large hard drive to store the data, that is simple get a 6TB drives and since your data sound important I would get 2 6TB drives and run them in a RAID mode, that way in case of failure you do not loose data at all.

5. where are you located in the world, and what is your budget for this project ?

jkepler

Commendable
Apr 13, 2016

Hi Paladin

Thank you very much for your reply - concise, and clear. The software does not depends on extremely good video capabilities, since it only calculates numerical data, and processes that data accordingly.

I'm in Porto, Portugal, and my budget would be between the $500 to $1000 dollars - the less, the better of course, and I'll explain why: this is a research program called Almagest, not funded, since there are no government aids or scholarships to/for scientific research here. The expenses are not just the hardware, but also scientif material as books, articles, printings, you name it. I'm currently working on trying to find a sponsor - but celestial mechanics is not attractive to all the companies (knonwing the celestial positions and other usefull information of the planets, asteroids, comets, stars, etc. in the universe, in historical and ancient times or in the future, or having best small fits to it, doesn't sell more ice creams or t-shirts...)

What did you had in mind?

Again, I apreciate the help.

Kind regards,

JKepler

Have you looked at things like World Community Grid, Seti (type) of things.

What this does it put your calculations on certain platforms that then share it around the world and then everyone elses computer does this for you. I have been doing World Community Grid for many years. Solving complicated maths that can help cure many diseases/problems of the world.

jkepler

Commendable
Apr 13, 2016
Hi

That's a great worldwide project - I just took a look at some google results :) I think it might not fit my goals however since the data must be handled as it comes out from the software in question (corrections, etc.). But the idea is great. I can even help SETI.

Thanks

JKepler

JKEPLER
Thank you very much for your reply - concise, and clear. The software does not depends on extremely good video capabilities, since it only calculates numerical data, and processes that data accordingly.

what I ment is if your program utilises the video graphic card to compute your calculations ( like a bitcoin minning system does for example) then the video card would be important, but seemingly your system computes using the cpu , so I would make em[hasis on CPU over video card and get a board that has an internal one.

with that said, her is what I suggest used a Spain reference, should bring prices close to what you have in Portugal (unless your on the Azores islands of course)

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4GHz 6-Core Processor (€184.90 @ Amazon Espana)
Motherboard: ASRock - B450M-HDV Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard (€81.57 @ Amazon Espana)
Memory: Patriot - Viper RGB 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory (€169.99 @ Amazon Espana)
Storage: Seagate - BarraCuda 4TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive (€109.90 @ Amazon Espana)
Case: Cooler Master - N400 ATX Mid Tower Case (€43.00 @ Amazon Espana)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Gold 450W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply (€77.45 @ Amazon Espana)
Total: €666.81
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-11-05 06:26 CET+0100