Best printer for a broke college student?

allfor5

Honorable
Sep 25, 2013
Hi guys,

What's the best printer with the cheapest ink for a broke college student?

I know on black friday there are those printers for $20 but then ink refills are like $30 its ridiculous! Is there something cheaper? I only need to print black and white research papers every once in a while, ebay shipping labels (On regular A4 paper) and maybe colored papers once a month

P1nnacle

Distinguished
i'd buy a good quality Brother laser color printer, I have one and while it's more expensive upfront, I can buy a multi pack of off brand ink that works great for 12 dollars (8 Black and 4 of each other color). Buy a good printer so it lasts.

allfor5

Honorable
Sep 25, 2013

How many black and white papers can you print with one black?
Because we had an HP inkjet/deskjet or something that cost $30 and ink was $25 for black and it advertsied as 200 sheets but only lasted like 100 or dried out.

P1nnacle

Distinguished
I printed about 200 double sided pages full of text before I got the toner low warning, I still haven't run out of toner in that cartridge though. Laser printers have a "lower quality" output usually, but for writing papers (I'm in college too, and prefer to print and read articles on paper) a laser works just fine (and the color one I have does pretty good in terms of color and image quality.

allfor5

Honorable
Sep 25, 2013

Sorry to ask so much of you but could you give me a link to a good printer you are talking about?

I hate every year getting a $20 black friday printer and then spending $500 on ink a year that dries out and barely prints 1500 papers (We literally spend HUNDREDS of dollars and I know in total we don't print that many papers)