Question Best programming languages to learn as a beginner ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 31, 2023
Hi, I am from a non-coding background working as a digital marketing associate. I work on several aspects of digital marketing but now in addition to this I also want to learn coding but I don't know where to start. So a little suggestion regarding what are the best programming languages to learn as a beginner would be a great help...

Python is one of the easiest and most practical programming languages to learn. It is easy to read, highly versatile, and has perhaps the most resources available to learn. Python is also an interpreted language, which means that you do not have to pre-compile the code after each modification of the code. This makes Python a quick and easy language to use.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
My problem with learning to code is that I never had a goal or something I wanted to create. So just reading a bunch of commands n syntax meant nothing to me.

Few years ago I took a java course and we use the greenfoot api and course work. Whole world opened up for me. You get sample code and they walk you through making it do stuff. Then you change it and see what happened.

Took a couple weeks and I was creating basic games n such on my own. Well beyond what the samples were looking to do.

Not saying you need to use the same but finding something similar for the language you chose is very helpful. Only touched python a couple times but there is bound to be something like I found to hold your hand and walk you through the first bit of learning. Aimless reading does not really work until you apply it somewhere.

D

Deleted member 14196

A good programming book will have lots of sample code to go with it, and you’ll be able to walk through it using your debugger and editor, of course

I always like to Sam’s books that’s how I learned C back in the day

Ralston18

Titan
Python - yes.

However, I suggest that you also take a look at Scratch via MIT.

Scratch appears childish and cartoony (and it is) but it only takes a few lessons to start getting a sense of how coding should be done. (Kids love it.)

And Scratch has far more features than many people realize.

FYI:

https://scratch.mit.edu/

https://www.media.mit.edu/projects/getting-started-with-scratch/overview/

Also free with lots of support available.

You can do your own coding or import code to study and analyze. Modify at will...

Color coded plus drag and drop commands.

No harm in having some fun with it all.

:)

There are innumerable programming languages. Pick the language used by the app that you might need to work with.
If you are employed, talk to their IT people to see what is most applicable.

I am long past my time as a coder.
Back when ...
Fortran(formula translator) was good for scientific formula work.
COBOL(common business oriented language) was used for commercial apps.
RPG(report program generator) produced reports.
370 machine language produced the most efficient code.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
In my mind it doesn't really matter all that much. Any Object Oriented Programming language basically covers the same basic concepts. Once you learn one, the underlying logic can be applied to almost any other language. Just a matter of learning syntax, and most of that is relatively similar.

Scripting languages are often what end up on the internet, so there is a lot of benefit to learning javascript/python if you are going down that route.

Database languages also come in handy, and these are also script based rather than compiled. Learning some form of SQL is also worthwhile.

USAFRet

Titan
Agree with the above. The specific language is far less relevant than knowing the concepts of application creation.
Requirements, UI design, database design, code, test, deploy, maintain.

The 'code' is only a part of it.

The prettiest application is useless if it is not maintainable.

At my office we are transitioning some 'not programmers' into the programming world.
The basic starting classroom task is "Build me a calculator".

Trivial, right? Any code monkey can do that.

No. Not when you need to do ALL the documentation which will be reviewed word for word, and with an evil customer that changes requirements all the time (me).

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
I can say the thing 2 java classes taught me most is how to read documentation and understand libraries and such. Once I had an idea and had to start asking "how do I make it do ________?" It was invaluable to me. This was something I never understood/ learned in previous attempts to learn how to program over the years.

I still tinker some with java when I get an idea and I am fully confident in knowing I can find the right commands and syntax to do what I want. Might not be the most efficient or best way, but I can usually make it happen.

Hi, I am from a non-coding background working as a digital marketing associate. I work on several aspects of digital marketing but now in addition to this I also want to learn coding but I don't know where to start. So a little suggestion regarding what are the best programming languages to learn as a beginner would be a great help...

Hard to say how you will be "taught", for what that's worth. Methodology, required tasks, intense versus easy-going, etc.

BUT.....be prepared for frustration and a longer than anticipated time before "the light goes on" and you are able to do anything marginally useful and worth being paid for. You might be highly intelligent and have few issues with abstract thinking or math and nonetheless struggle.

Difficult to predict for whom programming is relatively, I say relatively, easy.

The key thing to programming isn't so much the language itself, its features, or any sort of other nuance. They key skill you need to have is simply: can you come up with a series of discrete, atomic steps to solve a problem?

For example:
  • Can you tell me how to calculate the Fibonacci sequence for any given depth?
  • Can you tell me how to sort a random list of numbers?
  • How will you perform the FizzBuzz problem?
And these are just basic sample problems.

To that end, I recommend a book like this one that teaches some generic tools for problem solving. I also recommend this book for good practices when it comes to writing and maintaining a code base.

But if you want a language to start with, then I would argue Python is a good place to start because it's stupid easy to setup and go. But don't commit yourself to any one language.

Status
Not open for further replies.