Best Protagonists

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some of these entries are alright, but others are just terrible. Chell from Portal? The story of Portal is about GLaDOS, while Chell just fulfills the role of a silent, everyman protagonist who is there to complete challenges and carry things forward, and aside from having a name, is not really fleshed out beyond being a generic test subject.

While Gordon Freeman might share a few similarities with that design, he is arguably a bit different, in that he is the central, pivotal character that the events of the games are centered around, and while Gordon, much like the player, might not have a clear idea of what's going on in the game world, the rest of the characters tend to turn toward him as the driving force behind the events that are taking place. And most importantly, he has no equivalent of GLaDOS to upstage him.

But, wait... Gordon Freeman is number three... Freeman... Threeman... Half-Life 3 confirmed!?

I realize that many of our members are younger, and have little or no experience with older text based games or a lot of the classics that started everything they see nowadays, but how in the world can you ever have an all time protagonists list without including Arthur Dent from Commodore 64 Hitchhiker's guide to the Galaxy, that was probably the first and most universal video game protagonist ever? I don't get that.

And then, for PC at least, I REALLY don't see how Drizzt Do'Urden from Baldur's Gate gets excluded. If not for the success of that game, I doubt we'd be where we are today on the PC RPG scene. Clearly there are some good choices on this list but if we're talking ALL time, those two have to be on ANY list that wants to be taken seriously. I mean, without the success of Baldur's Gate revitalizing the PC gaming industry, and RPG's in particular, companies probably continue to move away from them altogether.

coffeya13-2

Reputable
Apr 7, 2014
I definitely agree with the placement of the last 2. I just wish the developers for mass effect had the same integrity as the ones at witcher.

Pompompaihn

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2010
I'm not much of a console guy....but given the award criteria is "the best protagonists in all of video games"...

Where the hell is Mario???

Status
Not open for further replies.