Best PSU for around $150?

Ken Clark

Reputable
Mar 10, 2014
I am currently upgrading the parts in my computer. I have a budget MSI GD55 motherboard, 8GB DDR3 1333MHz, AMD FX 8350, GTX 760 2GB, 128GB SSD, 1TB HDD, 650GB HDD, 7 total 120mm fans including the liquid cooler fans, and a Corsair H80i pump. I want to overclock so I need a new PSU as I have a 550W Bronze PSU. I also want to future proof my computer so I am getting a higher wattage PSU than I need. I want to get AT LEAST a gold rated PSU since I am getting a higher wattage PSU than I need at the moment. I saw this PSU and it seems to be the best for the price since it is a gold rated one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?gclid=CjgKEAjwq_qcBRDZ-PeZ7NGQiVwSJAATT7q2xfBn7vinTEh4rkar1q_yi0tx2gVeh2lC1LWMxUCz8vD_BwE&Item=N82E16817207028&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-_-pla-_-Power+Supplies-_-N82E16817207028&ef_id=U4wJAgAAAcnXFUJB:20140616204849:s

Are there any ones that are better? Also, should I get a $150 motherboard before I get the PSU or after? The current one seems to be fine for now.

Solution

Well, the calculator is obviously wrong, since your current power supply is rated to only give out 456 watts on it's 12v lines and since it hasn't melted or failed I very much doubt your machine is using any where close to 498 watts.

If you are going with SLI 760's then replacing the PSU with something in the 750-850 watt range would be...

Traciatim

Distinguished
Why do you think you need that much power? You are probably pushing about 325 watts on the DC side of your supply right now, or somewhere there about. Why not buy something like a Kill-A-Watt or similar watt meter device so you can see how much your machine is using and overclock in small steps. If you have a 550 watt supply that can do 500 watts or so down it's 12v lines then even keeping it below 80% capacity you still have at least 75 watts to go before really even pushing it all that hard.

What power supply do you have now?

Ken Clark

Reputable
Mar 10, 2014
I have the Rosewill HIVE 550W (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182132). The power calculator I used said I needed a minimum of 498 watts so since this is a bronze PSU I thought I would almost be reaching the 85% mark. Also, I said that I wanted a 850W PSU because I am going to overclock and in the future I will have multiple video cards. So should I get a 750W one then?

Traciatim

Distinguished

Well, the calculator is obviously wrong, since your current power supply is rated to only give out 456 watts on it's 12v lines and since it hasn't melted or failed I very much doubt your machine is using any where close to 498 watts.

If you are going with SLI 760's then replacing the PSU with something in the 750-850 watt range would be wise. I still think you have a bit of room on your current supply to overclock your CPU a bit and wait until you are switching out to SLI video cards and get a supply then in case you decide the replace the machine or something by then. There isn't much point in replacing a perfectly good and usable power supply until you need to.

Just keep in mind the 80Plus Bronze/Gold rating doesn't have anything to do with how much power the PSU can output, it's simply a rating of how efficiently it can convert the AC coming from the wall to DC that the components use.

Solution