Best PSUs

Status
Not open for further replies.

DVJ Rick Kraft

Honorable
Aug 11, 2013
Now many motherboards require 8pin+4pin CPU power, and some even require 8pin+8pin. Since this guide is made for DIY builders, this is the most important information when buying PSUs. In your guide there should be some differentiation between limited power supplies (1x CPU 8Pin) and PSUs that are more versatile, especially since 2x CPU 8pin is required for mid-tier or higher-end motherboards.

Nov 6, 2018

Yes, That's true. But I had read that the 4pin connector isn't needed if you don't do 'extreme' overclocking, I don't know how much is considered 'extreme' but at least it should be safe to connect only the 8pin for runing the CPU at stock speed.

jdcranke07

Honorable
If you are running a non-k SKU of Intel processors, you probably can run with DavidM.Maya's advice. I would error on the side of caution otherwise. I also agree that the number of CPU cables with pin counts & number of SATA & Molex power cables should be in there as well. The reason you might go for a high wattage PSU like a 1600W might be for a rig that has multiple purposes, i.e. gaming rig & workstation and/or server. Peripherals such as HDDs & SSDs can determine which PSU better fits you based on cables provided.
I have an EVGA SuperNova 1600 T2 that came with 4way SATA power cables (x2) & one cable that was 2 SATA power & 2 Molex power as an example.

Status
Not open for further replies.