best router for controlling fortnight

Aug 24, 2018
Best home router for controlling Fortnite addicted kids?. Hey all, Our kids are addicted to Fortnite. If we get em off the Xbox, they continue on their IPads, etc. Family caos. I need a new router, that will allow me to set time schedules per device, block Fortnite and YouTube, manage "block excluded sites" for homework time, pause internet during dinner time etc. End of day blocking so they will go to bed. I need something that has an IOS App so non-tech wife can also spit the dummy and pause internet. Googling this subject brings a minefield of marketing junk..... PS it also needs to be powerfull enough for a family of 5. Any anyone recommend best router for this? Many thanks String, Australia

Solution
You want a router with what is called parental controls. Lots of routers have that feature but some are easier to use that others. Best would be to read the online manuals before you buy to see if you understand how to configure it.

I know asus and tplink routers have fairly advanced options and you can load merlin firmware on many asus routers. Merlin is not as complex as other third party firmware but has more feature than the stock firmware. Of course you can go to something like dd-wrt and there is not much you can not do in regard to limits but it can be extremely complex to implement if you want something really fancy.

I would start with reading the manuals on the factory firmware options and see if it is good enough...
You want a router with what is called parental controls. Lots of routers have that feature but some are easier to use that others. Best would be to read the online manuals before you buy to see if you understand how to configure it.

I know asus and tplink routers have fairly advanced options and you can load merlin firmware on many asus routers. Merlin is not as complex as other third party firmware but has more feature than the stock firmware. Of course you can go to something like dd-wrt and there is not much you can not do in regard to limits but it can be extremely complex to implement if you want something really fancy.

I would start with reading the manuals on the factory firmware options and see if it is good enough.

Note if you have smart kids they will quickly learn how to use vpn to bypass your blocks of certain sites. Completely blocking the internet they can do little to bypass.

Solution